1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Setting an IP to Reverse Lookup

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to set an IP to Reverse Lookup to a domain name?

I'm aware that it is to do with setting a DNS record of some sort, but I'm not sure what type and how to go about doing this.

Thanks in advanced to anybody who can help me out,
    James
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

PTR records they are called.

First find out who is SOA for the IP. Go to ARIN.net and complete a whois lookup for the IP you need 'reversed'

The SOA will be responsible for creating the PTR record (reverse entry) you require.

If you need 'your' ISP assigned IP ptr'd to your domain, it is probably your ISP who is responsible.

Here's what happens. Lets assume you IP is 1.2.3.4. The owner of this space will create a zone on there master DNS servers as follows:

3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.

This zone will then contain PTR records for each IP in this subnet. FOr example:

4 IN PTR www.domain.com.

If you are attempting to PTR private 'backend' ip addresses (like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.0.x) then you will need to build zones appropriately as detailed above.

Good luck. People often don't understand PTRs, because the person responsible for having them is NOT neccesarily responsible for the domain. It's who's SOA for the IP.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo