1. blah
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Problem with old site showing?

Hi. I have Apache installed and set up the server fine. I recently had to reformat my hard drive so I lost all of my data (or so I thought). I reinstalled it when my computer was up and running again, and everything seemed OK. I then made a little site and tried it in my browser, and it seemed OK. I have a DNS that maps itself to my IP address (it's a dyndns.org one).

So, today I left my computer on and tried to reach my site from school. Something weird happened - It took ages for the site to come up and when it did appear, it was my old site from before my computer screwed up.

I don't understand this at all. How is the information stored about my old site when I no longer have anything to do with it. How did it appear? And more importantly, why isn't my other/new one appearing?

It works fine on my browser but I assume it works no where else. Bummer!

Does anyone have any ideas?

fire
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

perhaps the school computer had it cached? "shift+refresh"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I'm not into Apache.. but know about web stuff..
    The site may be cached as Trininox says... so refresh will do the trick..
    but................ if the old files still exist, then the index page needs to be renamed or dumped so that the new index can take over..
    You already know that uploading a new site isn't any good until you kill the index page already there.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo