1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Strange dns situation...

OK - I have two dns servers - located in different locations.

both are in the same domain - let's call them

dns2.mycompany.com (not a secondary to dns1) - it's a primary like dns1

dns1 is authoritative for mycompany.com

dns1 goes down.

since the soa for mycompany.com is on dns1 the IP address dns2 is on dns1 - dns2 cannot be found when dns1 is down..

does this make sense? because when I pull the plug on dns1 things go down hill fast.

and I can't enter an ip address for a dns server at Dotster.

idea - I'm thinking I just create a new domain for dns2 and making dns2 authoritative for that domain so that dns resolves even when dns1 is down.

thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The IP addresses for ns1 and ns2 should be in the glue records you set up with the registrar. Regardless if they are set up in a mast-mast or mast-slave, if the IP's are right, it should work. Now if for some reason you only have ns1 in the glue records and ns2 is ONLY resolvable from a query directly to ns1, yeah all your stuff would go down if ns1 failed. It wouldn't be worth having 2 name servers at that point.

I first heard of Dotster today actually because I had to deal with the fallout of their MX record mishap on all their domains. They really screwed a lot of people over with that but it's unrelated here I guess. So I don't know much about them but if I couldn't fully control where my name servers are and where they point to, I would switch providers. I found the link below online, so I'm not sure if you tried that already or if something changed but it's a short video of what you need essentially.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo