1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Struggling with DNS set-up can anyone help?

dsfhskjhfskjdf
    hijefws
    fhskjhisef
    fjioosd
    iopsd
    lk;isd
    ljlsfd
    Last edited by sshanuk; October 29th, 2003 at 04:07 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> still that is bring me to register.com not to my web server. What is the mistake I am doing?

register.com is the worst registrar on earth because they only care to take new customers and take their money. For any inquires afterward you are on your own, they don't care.

>> Can any one help me

First tell us your domain name. Then the URL for your website and what IP should it be. Without such info it's pointless to ask questions in this forum in the first place.
    In addition, are you hosting your own domain? What nameserver name? And IPs?
  5. No Profile Picture

Sorry!
    Last edited by sshanuk; October 29th, 2003 at 04:08 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Shan,

A few tidbits:

It can take up to 3 days to propigate your changes.

I've had good success with register.com

Some registration companies have you create a Host record which is a domain name for your DNS server.
    (e.g. dns1.kampan.com). You may need to additionally register these(not pay for, but tell them about it)

Sometimes they require 2 DSN servers ... I've sucessfully tricked them into thinking I had 2 by creating a second DNS name with nothing there. (I always figured if my DNS was down, so was my server and redundancy on DNS was of little use) It has varied over time, so you may need to tinker here.

Use an external site like www.samspade.org to test various components of your configuration like your DNS server and then your webserver. Often, your DNS, on your machine will trick you into thinking everything is ok when in fact, it's not working from the outside.

Hope it Helps,

Ray Hogan
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> so far I registered my domain with register.com only

So you are NOT hosting your own DNS, just the website only.

>> It can take up to 3 days to propigate your changes

It is very common to take 3 months or never if his registrar is register.com. Like I said, register.com doesn't care existing customers.

>> Use an external site like www.samspade.org to test various components of your configuration

Useless, and trust yourself, why bother to use external site in the first place.

dns17.register.com and dns18.register.com appear to be the nameserver for his domain, that's what the roots say.
    Let's ask dns17.register.com directly:
    dnsq a kampan.com dns17.register.com
    Code:
    1 kampan.com:
    93 bytes, 1+1+2+0 records, response, authoritative, noerror
    query: 1 kampan.com
    answer: kampan.com 86400 A 209.67.50.203
    authority: kampan.com 86400 NS dns17.register.com
    authority: kampan.com 86400 NS dns18.register.com
    Sorry, register.com hasn't done anything on their end.

>> I did not host my domain any where

You have plenty of static IPs, so you should host your own domain. At the very least, have zen.co.uk hosts it for you, if you cant host it yourself at this time.
    Believe me, getting out of register.com could take dozen months, because they never act, if you dont email them dozen times.
  11. No Profile Picture

First......Thanks to all who helped for this

Some how my website is working now. but I don't know wether the register.com server delayed my ip configuration changes or my poor DNS knowedge and several defferent settings made this delay.

As freebsd said I will try to host my domain with zen, see what happens then.

Thanks for all

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo