Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

dude it looks like its working now. All A records and MX records are now delegating everywhere. Looks like i wasnt setting up both servers identically. I didnt know this!! I hope it stays

I have a few more little questions and 1 problem.

1. If i create a A record, can i setup an IIS website with the bindings for that address.

ie. create a host A record webmail.megahosting.co.nz to 101.98.172.85 can i create a new website and add the binding for webmail.megahosting.co.nz for it to resolve that website?

2. What is the MB (mailbox) record for?

3. How can i get an NSLOOKUP to list the name servers associated with the domain?

And lasty, my problem.

I am unable to send an email to address@megahosting.co.nz. I am sending it from my ISP email and i can send other emails fine. I get a mail delivery error email reply with SMTP authentication required. But im not using the SMTP server of megahosting.co.nz to send the email? Just receive!

Thanks!!
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz
    thanks, i really appreciate your help with this!!
    Looks like the domain is working now. Now for the other issues:

another quick question, does the MX record need to point to my FQDN (megahosting.co.nz) or to a A host (mail.megahosting.co.nz)

thanks
    Point the MX record to mail.megahosting.co.nz

Serial numbers for zone files are usually in the format YYYYMMDDNN (Where NN is the revision number). So, if this was the first time you edited your zone file today, you would use 2012041001.

Also, to disable recursion, take a look at this link.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks

it was an issue with the SMTP authentication.

HOWEVER, i think something weird is going on.

Im using whatsmydns.net to check propagation,

but my DNS records are propagating almost INSTANTLY.

Even if i create a new domain with the records, they progagated instantly....

is this possible?

Thanks!
  7. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz

Even if i create a new domain with the records, they progagated instantly....

is this possible?

Thanks!
    Yes
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  9. No Profile Picture
    SA(in)NE

1. If i create a A record, can i setup an IIS website with the bindings for that address.

ie. create a host A record webmail.megahosting.co.nz to 101.98.172.85 can i create a new website and add the binding for webmail.megahosting.co.nz for it to resolve that website?

2. What is the MB (mailbox) record for?

3. How can i get an NSLOOKUP to list the name servers associated with the domain?
    1) Yes. You need to set the "Host Header" field to the name within the A record.

2) "The MB records specifies the host domain name which contains the mailbox for this object. Mail sent to the domain will be directed to the host specified in the MB record. This record type is defined in RFC 1035." --I've never seen this record in use before

3) c:\> nslookup
    nslookup> set type=ns
    nslookup> google.ca

or with dig:
    dig ns google.ca
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo