1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to say tst.x.com but reach upg.x.com ?

We have a WebLogic app server / web server setup. We run a Java program that does Web Services calls using the RightNow API.
    Our production site runs it, and updates (and reads) our Prod RightNow instance, using a URL like ourProd.custhelp.com .
    On our QC instances of our site, our WebLogic servers run the same pgm and it uses a URL like ourTest.custhelp.com . It updates our Test instance of RightNow.

Oracle has created an upgrade site, which we must test, including this Java program. It is at a URL like ourUpgrade.custhelp.com .

Ping tells me that ourTest...com and ourUpgrade....com both are the same IP address.

Admins tell me that the RightNow servers must be analyzing the text in the URLs, and redirecting within their network. Web browsers do reach the two different sites by using the two URLs.

We do not want to change our QC sites to use the URL ourUpgrade.custhelp.com . Instead, we want to leave them as-is, but temporarily, we want them to actually reach ourUpgrade.custhelp.com without "realizing" it.

Is that possible? How?
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

DNS only affects the IP addresses the hostnames resolve to. Apparently they have the same address right now? That's all you can do. The next step is configuring the web server running at that location so that it knows the two names correspond to the same sites.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks! Oracle already has configured their site successfully. (They own RightNow.)

Now we want to "get around" that configuration. For instance, a magical URL changer between our site and the Internet could do it.
  7. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So you want QC to keep using "ourTest" but actually go to ourUpgrade? You have to configure the web server so that the two are set up for the same website: the server will already get requests for both sites so it needs to know that ourTest is essentially just an alias for ourUpgrade and not a separate site.

DNS cannot help you here. There's no workaround you can put in that suddenly makes the server treat ourTest and ourUpgrade the same.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks much. We asked Oracle to do that, but they would not.

Other experts also tell me that we have no way to do what we want. C'est la vie!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo