#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Junior Member
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0

    Unhappy unable to find my NS servers, possible misconfiguration


    Hi,

    I've had my DNS servers set-up for sometime now. They use Bind 9 and run on RH 7.3. I have transferred domains to them and these domains transfer fine. However I recently tried to change the name servers for som domains held (IPSTAG) at UK2.net to my name servers ns1.lanticdata.co.uk & ns2.lanticdata.co.uk. the first one transferred fine, but the rest wouldn't as it couldn't find my primary name server. So I tried the next day and had the same result the first one would transfer, but the rest wouldn't as it couldn't find primary name server again. I have checked all the logs and the servers still secure, so I know it's not been hacked.

    At first I thought it was just UK2.net having problems, but when I tried checking the server out I had trouble locating it with some of the free online tools I like to use such as:-

    http://centralops.net/co/DomainDossier.vbs.asp &
    http://www.ip-plus.net/tools/dns_check_set.en.html &
    http://us.mirror.menandmice.com/cgi-bin/DoDig &
    http://www.demon.net/external/

    So I think I may have some errors in the configuration. I was hoping someone could have a look and advise me.

    lanticdata.co.uk itself is held by ns1 and ns2 and resolves fine which kind of troubles me as I don't understand how a domain can resolve correctly when its name servers cannot be found.

    I also ought to mention that I could find the name servers sometimes but not all the time. Is this something to do with the PTR record or may the authority or deligation.

    Thanks for any help
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Junior Member
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    0
    It's ok,

    I solved my problem. But now have another one. It's probably obvious, but when I run
    http://www.ip-plus.net/tools/dns_check_set.en.html

    with "lanticdata.co.uk" & "ns1.lanticdata.co.uk"

    I get told ns2 is a primary name server. how do I get it to pick it up as a secondary?

    Thanks
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    $dnsq any lanticdata.co.uk ns1.lanticdata.co.uk
    255 lanticdata.co.uk:
    202 bytes, 1+5+0+3 records, response, authoritative, weird ra, noerror
    query: 255 lanticdata.co.uk
    answer: lanticdata.co.uk 3600 SOA lanticdata.co.uk hostmaster.lanticdata.co.uk 10 28800 900 604800 86400
    answer: lanticdata.co.uk 3600 NS ns1.lanticdata.co.uk
    answer: lanticdata.co.uk 3600 NS ns2.lanticdata.co.uk
    answer: lanticdata.co.uk 3600 MX 10 mail.lanticdata.co.uk
    answer: lanticdata.co.uk 3600 A 213.131.163.165
    additional: ns1.lanticdata.co.uk 3600 A 213.131.163.174
    additional: ns2.lanticdata.co.uk 3600 A 213.131.163.173
    additional: mail.lanticdata.co.uk 3600 A 213.131.163.162

    >> I get told ns2 is a primary name server

    You need to use the MNAME to tell the whole world which is your primary. Yours is currently set to lanticdata.co.uk (as bold in above), which is invalid. You need to set that to ns1.lanticdata.co.uk.

    You also set your serial to 10, which is a poor format.

    You also haven't set up the required mailbox (postmaster and abuse). Do it now or you will get your mailserver's IP blacklisted very soon.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo