1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Web host blocking use of their n/server's?

hi - my domain name is not registered with my web host (shopping cart) - i was "frame masking" but i heard it can greatly affect seo - i looked at my hosts site last night & it seems they want a domain transfer @ 26.00/yr - however i used their n/server's but have seen no results as yet - my question: is it common practice for some hosts (like shopping carts) to block use of their n/server's in order to force a domain transfer to them? - its a uk public holiday today so i can't contact them or find info regarding - thanks
  3. No Profile Picture

i would greatly appreciate if someone would be kind enough to give me some info regarding this "follow on" to my original thread.

as stated, at my domain registrar i changed to my web hosts n/servers however on contact they ask me to change back to my domain registrars n/servers & change the A record to the one they give me.

in the past other web hosts just supplied me with their n/servers for a transfer.

i'm interested to know if both methods are just two different ways of doing the same thing or is there a subtle difference? - thanks
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

So your name servers are with the registrar and the other company that hosts the actual website wants to charge you to use their name servers and transfer your domain to them?

If that's it, I haven't heard of that before, but I don't mess arounf much with the registrars and hosts. But it does make sense they would want to charge you to use their name servers if that's the case. Using the registrars or the hosting companies name servers, doesn't matter as long as the records are correct and what they should be.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by CaptPikel
    So your name servers are with the registrar and the other company that hosts the actual website wants to charge you to use their name servers and transfer your domain to them?

If that's it, I haven't heard of that before, but I don't mess arounf much with the registrars and hosts. But it does make sense they would want to charge you to use their name servers if that's the case. Using the registrars or the hosting companies name servers, doesn't matter as long as the records are correct and what they should be.
    thx for your reply - the web host will charge me 26 if i do a "complete domain transfer" to them ie a change of registrar

however keeping my present registrar they just ask me to retain the registrar's n/servers but change the A record.

in a similar situation, hostgator just supplied me with their n/servers & i changed them at my registrar's cpanel - just wondering what the difference is, if any?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It shouldn't matter. Both ways should have the same outcome. The hosting company probably just wants more of your business.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by CaptPikel
    It shouldn't matter. Both ways should have the same outcome. The hosting company probably just wants more of your business.
    kindly appreciated.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo