1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

win server 2000 help...

Hello good people, I'm writing to you as a new member of this board, anyway...I'm trying to set up a win2k server at work and I have a Netgear router for internet access. I, unfortunately, use dynamic IP for internet access from my ISP. Is there a way I can set up a DHCP/DNS server & have everyone on my network log on to my win2k server domain without screwing up internet access??? I spent about 4 hours trying stuff, to no avail. I DID, however, get my 2k server going and sometimes IT can get online. The only way that happens is turning off DHCP on the router and making the gateway on the server's netcard the address of the router, but my clients can't get online, even if I set the gateway on their cards... If I have the DHCP on the router ON, it screws up my 2k server and nothing works. HELP PLEASE!!! Thanx in advance!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Have you tried it without using DHCP at all and just use static IPs for testing. Set all clients and the server gateway address to the router's LAN interface IP and things should work fine.
  5. No Profile Picture

hmmm...

Just stopped by work to check this post and don't have time to try it. But Monday first thing I will try it. Bad thing is, everyone will hafta be offline for a bit, oh well. But if it works, thanx for the suggestion, even if it doesn't, thanx!!!
  7. No Profile Picture

So here's how I fixed it...

Ok, 'twas a matter of syntax, as is most crap I have to deal with. So I had my workgroup going thru the router with its DHCP on. Then I set up my win2k server and installed DCHP (which I probably won't EVER use from the server) and DNS on initial installation. When it was installing these components, it (winsetup) told me to assign a static IP to the NIC it detected (because a DNS server cannot have a dynamically assigned IP), so I picked something outside the DHCP scope of the router (I then assigned a static IP, using the server's MAC address, to the server within the router) and set the IP of the router as my NICs gateway. From then, after updating win2k, my DNS setup went like butter. All clients are happily logged on to my domain and can get online!!! And I am one relieved/happy net admin.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo