1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Www version of domain gives server not found

I'm working on a domain that has lots of custom DNS records. We changed from a google site to a hosted website. In order to keep the custom DNS records (for mail and other stuff), we simply added an A Record to point to the ip address of the hosting.

That worked fine for domain dot com Except when you go to www dot domain dot com you get a "server not found" page. This morning I added a wildcard A Record (asterisk that points to the ip address). Will that work or is there something else I need to do?

The domain is bsi686.org and here is what I have right now

* IN A 50.21.182.164
    @ IN A 50.21.182.164
    www IN CNAME 50.21.182.164

I don't know if the CNAME is right for what I want either. Hoping for some help
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Have the CNAME point to the domain name, not the IP. Pointing to the IP will make the DNS server try to do a name lookup on it. Since it's already an IP, you'll get a server error. The wildcard won't fix it since you already have a www record in place.

Code:
    www  IN CNAME bsi686.org.

EDIT: Or just get rid of the CNAME altogether and have an A record for the www point to the IP.
  5. No Profile Picture

That worked, case closed. Just deleted the cname record and the www now goes to the domain.

Thanks, you're the best.
  7. Contributing User

Glad to see that. Yes, in order to make www works, you need to add CNAME. Not a big problem.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo