1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Zones, NameServers, Aliases, help!

Okay I have a domain (www.didesigns.net) registered. It has been using my ISP's nameservers until today. My Registrar allows the creation of nameservers, so I created them:

ns1.didesigns.net points to -> 65.185.139.173
    ns2.didesigns.net points to -> 65.185.139.173

I don't know if it matters that I use different IP's, but my ISP only gives me one.

Now I think all that's left, is to set up my DNS with name servers, zone files, blabla.

I use Windows 2000 advanced server with it's built in DNS service.

If anyone could possibly explain to me how to correctly create a zone, configure the name servers, and how to create something so that *.didesigns.net points to my IP Address.

I don't know what a lot of these terms mean (zone, zone file, records, aliases, etc.)

Well if anyone has any tips or links to great in-depth tutorials on how to set this up, that would be great. The effect of my domain pointing to my name servers should take effect within 3 days.

Thx
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ns1 and ns2 must have the different IP, which you will need the two static IPs..

Learn to use the search, take the look -> namedb rejecting, what does it means? .. It should give you the idea..
  5. No Profile Picture
    BrainFreeze

In The Same Boat

Hi I want to create my own nameservers also using Win2K advanced server and MS DNS management.

I have found out the following things but am still a bit unclear in some areas hopefully someone elase can fill us both in with this.

I have two IPs 217.158.xxx.x01 and 217.158.xxx.x02

Each one is assigned to a different server - called web1.triangle-solutions.com and web2.triangle-solutions.com respectively.

Now my Domain name company will register Nameservers for me which involves them pointing the IP address to the host - this is what I understand anyway. I have done this several times and use CRSNIC to check that this has been done - it does happen but then due to errors they are deleted again.

The errors I think are due to reverse lookup problems and the fact that my domain triangle-solutions.com is pointed somewhere else.

To check for errors - I have been using the tool Sam Spade - which is freely available to download as a windows program from Sam Spade When I do an nslookup on the machine it returns back with no reverse record specified.

Now I have no real idea of how to create a reverse lookup in MS dns there is an option to do this - set in the ip address and it autmatically sets the in-arpa address or something - now do I need to create a manual PTR record for something? I am not sure if someone has an ouput from an NT box then it would be helpful.

Now Forward records I think are not necessary to get the ball rolling with nameservers as they are forward looking and DNS is all about looking up or reverse then I dont think I need to worry about that again not sure.

Lastly the problems I have been having revolve around the fact of my domain triangle-solutions.com - I bought it through easily.co.uk and have control to point this domain to any nameserver currently I use a company called interhost, where my old server is - I want to ditch this and set my own up. Easily have told me to ask interhost to put a record in there dns to point to my new nameservers to get them going but I am ditching them and so dont want them to do this! So I cannot get my machines going without pointing triangle-solutions.com there but how do I do this. And what else do I need to set up for the nameservers to be functional.

Believe me I have read so much to get this far and am confused but still need to get this done and simply want a step by step instruction manual to do this; once I know how to do this I guarantee I will write one for others.

Hopefully this is a start and we can go from here to get the job done.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo