1. o0o.o0o
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

2ndary nameserver -- not on my LAN ...

If I am using a friends machine ( also connect by @home ) who is not on my LAN, but has a static IP, do I have to include his machine's definitions in the db.mydomain.com file?

Same question for the reverse-look-up file...

(I am assuming so)

Thanks,
    Brett
    Last edited by estrabd; December 6th, 2001 at 12:21 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

>> do I have to include his machine's definitions in the db.mydomain.com file?

If he is doing slave nameserver for you, then yes. In addition, you also need to set allow-transfer { his.static.ip.here; }; within options {}; in named.conf.

>> Same question for the reverse-look-up file

You don't even need to have db.your.static.ip.here file at all, just because you can never control (be authoritative for your reverse). In order to make your reverse to point back to your domain:

1) Delegation is needed from your ISP. 99% ISPs don't do that.
    2) Inform your ISP to set the PTR record for your IP to point to your domain. 80% of ISPs don't do that. Some, I'd say 10% of ISP will do it for a one-time charge. My ISP, SpeakEasy.net, do that at no charge only on request. Some ISPs don't even have control to their own IP netblock because their upstream doesn't delegate the authority to them. What's more? Some ISPs are even lazy to setup PTRs, as a result, a lookup to their IPs return nothing.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo