1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs down Bind DNS no luck no love

I have been trying for about 3 weeks to get my bind DNS to work here is my situation:

DSL router ----> Router ------->Hub ------> various computers with various operating systems but the one I am worried about is my Linux box.

Linux box:
    Redhat 7.2
    Bind 9
    Apache 1.3.20

The problem I am having is that I have a domian www.jkcool.com and I had them point ns1.jkcool.com to 209.23.157.26 (my Ip address). I can't get my bind to resolve the domain name. and here is the problem I think. Well I have apache and bind on the same machine and I have a fake ip address on the linux box 192.168.1.101 and I have all the ports forwarded to that. I can access the sight by typing in ns1.jkcool.com but I can't get that thing to resolve by just typing in jkcool.com in my web browser. Can someone take the time and show me how to do it? I can't have a real Ip address to the box either.

Thanks,
    John
    Have you ever sat at a redlight for so long you thought the light was broken and just as you thought that it turned green???? Well me neither
  3. 11
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

Don't crosspost again. Choose one forum and stick to it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can't query your DNS server and it's currrently unreachable or simply dead.

When you run an unreliable DNS server like BIND and with just one IP you are just asking for troubles yourself.
    Since you have a DSL router why don't you do this:

DSL router ----> Router ------->Hub ------>
    |
    |---------------> Linux box

or just:

DSL router ----> Linux ----> Router ------->Hub ------>

and disable NAT in router. Port forwarding DNS packets is extremely unreliable.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo