November 30th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Setting up DNS using Webmin
Here's a quick walkthrough for using Webmin to setup DNS.
(Depending on your Distro, you may need to change the Module Configuration, which you can find at the top left of the window entitled "Module Config"... Right under the "Webmin" icon.)
Log into Webmin, and update it (if it needs it).
Go to Servers, and then click on "BIND DNS Server"
Creating a Master Zone.
1) Click on "Create master zone"
2) Enter the domain into the "Domain name / network" box.
3) For the master server, type in the domain name as well.
4) You can check the "Create NS record" box if you'd like.
5) You can enter your email address in the appropriate box.
6) Type in the IP address of the server (The external IP address provided by your ISP).
7) Click "Create"
You will then be redirected to the zone page for that domain you just created. (If you weren't, click on the zone for that domain).
Creating A records (Address Records).
1) Click on "Address"
2) Leave the name field blank, and type in the IP address.
3) Click Save.
(The following is dependent on what you want to run the server for.)
4) Type in www for the name, and type in the IP address.
5) Click Save.
6) Type in mail for the name, and type in the IP address.
7) Click Save.
8) Type in ftp for the name, and type in the IP address.
9) Click Save.
10) Type in ns1 for the name, and type in the IP address.
11) Click Save.
12) Type in ns2 for the name, and type in the IP address.
13) Click Save.
14) At the bottom, click "Return to Record Types"
Creating NS records (Name Servers).
1) Click on Name Server
2) For the zone name, type in the domain name (Put a . at the end; for example:
(notice the ending period.. DO Not Forget that)
3) For the name server, type in ns1.domain.com.
(Also notice the period)
4) Click Save.
5) Type in ns2.domain.com.
6) Click Save.
7) Click "Return to Record Types"
Creating an MX Record (Mail Exchange Record).
1) Click Mail Server (If you want a mail server)
[B](Make sure you put the period at the end; mail.domain.com.[/B]
2) For the name, type in the domain
3) For the mail server, type in mail.domain.com
4) Set the priority to what you like.. 10 is usually default. This is more of a concern if you are hosting a lot of domains.
5) Click "Return to Record Types"
This is the bulk of setting up DNS through Webmin. After you are done making any changes, make sure you restart Bind (named). Give it up to 72 hours to propogate... usually less than an hour.
Hope this helps!
Last edited by hiker; December 22nd, 2006 at 02:53 PM.
December 1st, 2006, 03:51 PM
Moved from Mail Server Help to DNS Help.
The No Ma'am commandments:
1.) It is O.K. to call hooters 'knockers' and sometimes snack trays
2.) It is wrong to be French
3.) It is O.K. to put all bad people in a giant meat grinder
4.) Lawyers, see rule 3
5.) It is O.K. to drive a gas guzzler if it helps you get babes
6.) Everyone should car pool but me
7.) Bring back the word 'stewardesses'
8.) Synchronized swimming is not a sport
9.) Mud wrestling is a sport
Stuck as read-only guide.
Please create a new thread and reference this one if you have any problems or questions related to it.
Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.