WHAT I’M TRYING TO DO:
I have two domain names domain1.com, and domain2.com… I am trying to create my own DNS server on a W2K server.

SERVER SPECIFICS:
The W2K server is also an ISA Server, (Firewall/Proxy Server)…Meaning it sits between the internet and my local LAN. It has two network interfaces. The internet facing network has a total of 6 static IPs. The internal network is using a plethora of unroutable IPs. The ISA server is “wide open”, letting all traffic in and out.

SCENARIO:
My registrar has allowed me to specify two DNS name servers, which will host my domain names. I have created ns1.domain1.com, and ns1.domain2.com, and pointed both names to one of my static IPs. The static IP is my W2K server’s IP address. I created two primary forward lookup zones for my two domain names.

Forward Lookup Zone 1
Domain1.com
- The W2K forward lookup wizard automatically creates the SOA, and NS record, I then create two alias addresses, www and ftp for domain1.com.
- Then I create a host record, ns1.domain1.com and point it to the static IP address that I registered with my registrar.
- I then double click on the SOA record and add the ns1.domain1.com host record as a Name Server.

Forward Lookup Zone 2
- Matches the above setup.

I also created a reverse lookup zone .

This is my first attempt at setting up a DNS server. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bryan