1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy dns web site problems

Hello,

The problem I am having is that our web site is not viewable using the internal network; it is viewable outside the network though. When using the URL of www.gwinto.co.uk inside the network you just get the page cannot be displayed error screen (and occasionally the Microsoft search screen). The web server is also the DNS server. Is there a way to tell the server, when it receives the page request to forward the request to the IIS server (itself essentially) rather then using the secondary DNS server which is the ISP. When using the URL www.gwinto.com however, the internal and external users can see the page fine. Thanks

I'm quite new to networking and apologise for any information missed out!
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The problem I am having is that our web site is not viewable using the internal network; it is viewable outside the network though.
    There is a problem with the DNS configuration inside your network. What are the name servers on your workstations set to? Is there a gateway or internal DNS server?

When using the URL of www.gwinto.co.uk inside the network you just get the page cannot be displayed error screen (and occasionally the Microsoft search screen).
    Both these are Internet Explorer's way of telling you that it either can't resolve the domain, there's no authorative data for it, or any number of other problems.

The web server is also the DNS server.
    Same with me - works fine.

Is there a way to tell the server, when it receives the page request to forward the request to the IIS server (itself essentially) rather then using the secondary DNS server which is the ISP.
    You don't need to do this. Your workstations should do a normal DNS query to your DNS cache (at your ISP, locally, whatever) which will return the address of your IIS server, which will then serve up the page. Try opening up a Command Prompt and typing: ping www.gwinto.co.uk

What happens then? If you get an IP address and packets coming back, it's not a DNS issue.
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo