Thread: DNS Help

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS Help

Hi all,

I'm new to DNS. But I have installed Apache on windows xp. It is working fine. But now i wanted to host my own website. I have a ethernet connection from Adelphia. I still need to install DNS but don't know where to get it. So if please someone could throw light on this it would be great. Actually my aim is to host my own website from my own computer without registering a domain name through any of the website, is it possible and if possible how is it possible.

Thanks.
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Actually my aim is to host my own website from my own computer without registering a domain name through any of the website, is it possible and if possible how is it possible.
    I think that's unfeasible. You will have to become a top-level registrar - it costs tens of thousands of dollars a year. Much cheaper just to buy the domain from somewhere like joker.com

But now i wanted to host my own website.
    You need to create nameserver records for your domain with your registrar (e.g. ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com). Then you need to point these two names to your IP address where you will be running your name server (I assume you only have one IP, since you're on a home internet connection).

Then you need to set these two servers as the authorative name servers for your domain, via your domain name registrar.

Then you need to install DNS software on the machine responding to the IP address you pointed your ns[12] records to. I can't recommend any DNS software for Windows, as I don't ever run any public-facing services on Windows.

Then you will need to create an A record for your domain name pointing to your IP address. Caches around the internet will then direct queries for www.yourdomain.com to your nameserver's IP address, and those nameservers will return the same IP address in response for a query for www.yourdomain.com
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo