1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Help, please DNS setup trouble

ok, where to begin.

I am running Windows 2000 Server and I want to run my OWN DNS server. I have a domain (www.bike.tk) and I need to specify settings:

Ip:

Host:

My servers ip address from my ISP is 207.6.64.211 (is that the correct one?) should i have a different ip posted, like the ISp ones. If so please explain in detail.

The only thing that works in Host is dns.bike.tk I can't find anything else that will work.

I am basically asking for any help on how to configure dns on windows 2000 server. I have been to a couple microsoft sites, and a couple others and I just can't figure it out.

Please follow me through the procedure it would be greatly appreciated.

my computer is also a domain controller. Homelan is the domain, runnig Actiave directory and the servers name is PRIMARY.

I know my server sounds a bit overloaded, but I will move the other profiles and junk to another server later this month.

Thankyou in advance.

LT
  3. Full Access
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You will have more joy, less grief, and a better support network if you run your DNS on a free UNIX variant such as Linux or BSD. Trying to run network servers on Windows is almost always a bad idea.

I'm running djbdns on [http://www.li.org]Linux[/url], and it's been a doddle - not to mention stable, secure, cost-free and supported by a very active user community.

Why not set up a junk machine (even an old Pentium will do the job fine) with Linux, and run your DNS off of that?
    Alex
    (http://www.alex-greg.com)
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ya, I've been thinking of that

Ya, origionally I was thinking of the idea of using a Linux based DNS server. I have read alot of documentation about it, and I have another computer I can use for web services.

So i'm going to give it a try.

Thanks.

LT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo