Thread: Purpose of DNS?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Purpose of DNS?

This is probably a really basic question, but what is the purpose of running a Domain Name Server if you still have to pay a registrar to obtain a domain name?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Paying the registrar simply adds your domain to the root servers for whatever top level domain you have. This is not the same as providing you with name servers. Albeit, most registrars offer their name servers free or a small charge as well.

The Domain Name System is a computer network just like any other (on a very massive scale). If anyone has the resources, they could start their own naming system. The DNS most people use certainly isn't the only one out there. The fee you pay is to have your domain on the system that is used by most people. It isn't cheap to keep it up and running. I think the last I checked, there are 13 gTLD clusters with about 242 servers total. And that's only the gTLD's. Consider the gigs per second all of those require as well as maintenance and administration costs. It's a small fee to pay.
  5. No Profile Picture

So is it safe for me to say that you can still create a domain with a domain name that is not being used without registering it with root servers? If not, then why wouldn't everyone just use the DNS of their ISP?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by nethompson
    So is it safe for me to say that you can still create a domain with a domain name that is not being used without registering it with root servers? If not, then why wouldn't everyone just use the DNS of their ISP?
    Technically, yes. But using a domain not registered is frowned upon and the users of the internet will not be able to access your domains resources unless you are registered at the roots.

The ISP's DNS servers you refer to are most likely just caching recursive servers. A little different than a server hosting a zone.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo