1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS changing and pointing and keeping SEO

Ok,

Bit of a novice here ..
    I have a website which is a wordpress site and is in a folder of my main server, with the domain pointing to it from a different domain registrar
    So the set up is
    newsdale org /yorkshireweddingmagician which is hosted on siteground
    with yorkshireweddingmagician com pointing to the above folder from a daily co uk account
    it is featuring in top positions on google with newsdale/yorkshireweddingmagician showing, for search of Yorkshire Wedding Magician as we have done lots of SEO
    the pointed YWM com is ideally what we want to feature in google.
    So, how do we change the DNS so that the domain YWM com shows up?
    I can buy an addon slot with siteground that then lets the YWM com point to the folder I think
    But will the strongly SEO’d site still feature with its actual path? And will google penalise for duplicate content
    Or, do I properly install the YWM com on a different server, and duplicate the site? With the proper domain name pointing to it, and hope that the SEO will work, although much offsite SEO points to the original server route.
    Any advice welcome
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you want to move a site to a different URL your best bet is probably to install the site at the new URL and then set up a 301 redirect on all of the pages at the old URL that point to the new URL.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo