1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Why this record points to my server?

Hi,

I am new to DNS, so forgive me if I ask a question with an obvious reply.

I have a .biz domain. I did a DNS scan in my VPS server. There were several errors that were quickly corrected by my hosting provider. However the scan shows also this result:

"DNS Parent sent Glue The parent nameserver a.gtld.biz is not sending out GLUE for every nameservers listed, meaning he is sending out your nameservers host names without sending the A records of those nameservers. It's ok but you have to know that this will require an extra A lookup that can delay a little the connections to your site. This happens a lot if you have nameservers on different TLD (domain.com for example with nameserver ns.domain.org.)"
    After inquiring my hosting provider, they told me they cannot solve this:

Please note that this domain is not pointed within our network: [root@server ~]$ dig A a.gtld.biz ;; ANSWER SECTION: a.gtld.biz. 518400 IN A 156.154.124.65 This is rather a subdomain or a hostname that must be resolved locally on the server that this is hosted at.
    and

You will need to contact whoever owns this DNS to delete this record. This record in particular isn't related to our servers in any way and is not contained on them. You can delete it without harm, but we don't actually host it or anything. The IP that the record is hosted on is 156.154.124.65. The owners are: NeuStar, Inc. NPAC (NET-156-154-0-0-1) 156.154.0.0 - 156.154.255.255 Various Registries (Maintained by ARIN) NET156 (NET-156-0-0-0-0) 156.0.0.0 - 156.255.255.255 Please contact them if you want to delete this A record.
    NeuStar

What is NeuStar:
    Neustar, Inc. has developed the Number Portability Administration Center (NPAC) to support the implementation of Local Number Portability (LNP).Neustar Inc.
    46000 Center Oak Plaza
    Sterling, VA 20166
    Phone: 571-434-5434
    Fax: 571-434-5401
    My questions are:

1. How come that this NeuStar that deals with phone portability is pointing one of their A Records to my domain?
    2. How do I get rid of this A Record of theirs?

Thank you for any clues
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

First thing, what's your domain? It would be easier to check it than to trust what they told you.

Second, even if someone had A records for your domain, if your domain is configured correctly it wouldn't matter. I could add your domain to my name server but queries should never get to my name server so it wouldn't affect the lookup.

Thirdly, Neustar runs the .biz servers. So you may want to double check what you've been told . I used used to work with a partner company and them. Nice people there.

http://www.neustarregistry.biz/products/biz
  5. No Profile Picture

Why this A record points to my server?

Hello CaptPikel! :-)

My domain is marketentry(dot)biz.

You are right, they manage the .biz extensions. But then, why they have an A record pointed to my servers and why my hosting tells me this record could be deleted and will not impair anything on my side? A bit confusing this. My hosting should have told me "this A record is because Neustar manages the .biz extension"...

What is exactly then this gtld.biz record and its function and why the scan tells me I need to set the GLUE records?

Whew! Many questions I know! Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for any clues! :-)
  7. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

The *.gtld.biz servers are the main domain servers for the .biz domain. They would contain the info regarding NS locations for all the *.biz domains.

I'm not sure what A record your talking about deleting. They have no A record for your domain. All they have are NS records which direct people to the nameserver that handles your domain.

Code:
    kicken@linode:~$ dig @a.gtld.biz marketentry.biz. A 
    ; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P2 <<>> @a.gtld.biz marketentry.biz. A
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27161
    ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
    ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;marketentry.biz.               IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    marketentry.biz.        7200    IN      NS      DNS24314.DIZINC.COM.
    marketentry.biz.        7200    IN      NS      DNS24313.DIZINC.COM.

;; Query time: 21 msec
    ;; SERVER: 156.154.124.65#53(156.154.124.65)
    ;; WHEN: Sat Jul  2 05:48:29 2011
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 89
    I'm not really familiar with glue records, but from the bit of reading I just did, the below is what I understand.

What the message regarding the glue records is talking about is that they are not returning an A record for your name servers. As it mentions though, this is common when the nameservers are on a different TLD, which yours are.

If there were glue records, there would be an ADDITIONAL SECTION in the above response with A records for the DNS24314.DIZINC.COM and DNS24313.DIZINC.COM

The response would look more like this if there were glue records.

Code:
     kicken@linode:~$ dig @l.gtld-servers.net aoeex.com. NS

; <<>> DiG 9.6.1-P2 <<>> @l.gtld-servers.net aoeex.com. NS
    ; (1 server found)
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 50731
    ;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
    ;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;aoeex.com.                     IN      NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    aoeex.com.              172800  IN      NS      ns33.domaincontrol.com.
    aoeex.com.              172800  IN      NS      ns34.domaincontrol.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns33.domaincontrol.com. 172800  IN      A       216.69.185.17
    ns34.domaincontrol.com. 172800  IN      A       208.109.255.17

;; Query time: 102 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.41.162.30#53(192.41.162.30)
    ;; WHEN: Sat Jul  2 05:53:42 2011
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 111
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  9. No Profile Picture

Why this record points to my server?

Kicken, thank you for your time - your post is very detailed. I wonder why my hosting did not explain this to me from start. This issue is resolved.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo