1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Changing Hosts...taking too long?

I few days ago, I copied the files from my site to a new webhost, edited a few files, and changed the nameserver information on my domain manager. One computer/connection I use pulls up the new version, but another computer/connection is STILL pulling up the old site. Yesterday I discovered that I had mistyped the first of 5 nameservers for my new host, and promptly fixed it. I've tried clearing the caches of all my browsers and reloading the site, even told the browser not to predict network actions, but it's not helping.

Is it possible that it is still updated through the internet or is the one computer hiding the connection information somewhere?

I don't want to delete the files from the old host until I'm sure that people are all being directed to the new site.

Thanks for any ideas.
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi,

Its possible that you are receiving cached DNS records from your nameserver, probably due to a high TTL.

Use dig (on Linux), nslookup (on Windows) or a web tool like dnsstuff to check if the DNS resource records are what you are expecting.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Eddie_D
    Hi,

Its possible that you are receiving cached DNS records from your nameserver, probably due to a high TTL.

Use dig (on Linux), nslookup (on Windows) or a web tool like dnsstuff to check if the DNS resource records are what you are expecting.
    I'm using windows. I've never used nslookup. How would I go about using it?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Open up the command prompt and type nslookup. You'll get the ">" prompt next. Just type in the domain name and it will by default pull the A record from the server.

For more info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200525
  9. No Profile Picture

Ok, when I do that, it returns my old host's ip. Is there a way to resolve this? I'm suspecting that it's an issue on this computer...

Maybe if I just don't ping that site for a few days it will reset the TTL?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Doesn't matter. TTL's count down regardless. Only way it will be an issue is if the name servers are still giving out the old IP. Try to do this:

Code:
    nslookup
    >set debug
    >yourdomain.com

This should show you the TTL's the server has.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo