1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Have a DNS problem with multiple servers

Hi guys,

I have searched far and wide for information concerning my problem and haven't been able to find anything satisfactory so far.

I'll try to make the story as short as possible, but understandable.

A friend of mine just bought a hosting company and there are a lot of problems he needs ironed out. Since I've had my own reseller hosting for a good while and am somewhat familiar with WHM, he hired me to help his tech guy straighten it out, but there are several things I don't know/understand.

Here's the deal.

We have 11 servers - each with a unique name and several "accounts"(or are they "zones"?) under each server name.

Ok, I had a domain that wouldn't load - gave a "not found" error when you click on it. It had the wrong IP address for the server, and the wrong DNS.

It turns out this domain is listed in 3 different places on the server. It's listed in the main server list which is understandable, but it's also listed in the other two "accounts" or "zones" on the server.

Let's say the server is "server 7" and the "accounts" are account 1 and account 2.

Ok, the DNS in SmartWhois says the nameservers are ns1.account2.com and ns2.account2.com, with IP addresses of say, 205.236.198.98 and 205.236.198.99.

But, in order to get the domain to show up, they tech guy set the IP address that's listed for ns1.account1.com.

After a few minutes the domain loaded when you click the link.(I always thought the IP address had to match the nameservers for a domain to resolve.)

The real problem is...the client has approx. 350 sub-domains that won't show and he can't ftp into the account with the IP provided.

Now, I don't know enough about DNS and IP addresses to understand what's happening. I've never had to do anything like this. I've always just used the DNS and IP that was provided by my hosting company.

Our senior tech knows his stuff - he's actually really knowledgeable, but he can't explain stuff for crap. He goes so fast, and assumes I know the terminology, and there ends up being big gaps in the explanation. (the reason I'm here instead of asking him)

Is there a resource available anywhere that will explain this stuff so I know what's going on... that will educate me in the fine art of server admin?

I hope I've explained this so it's somewhat clear, but if not, I'll try again.

Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you want to know about DNS server management and DNS operation, the best book I've found is DNS and Bind by Cricket Liu. If you search enough, I'm sure you can find a copy online to read.

As far as naming ns1 and ns2 with the registrar, the important thing is the IP address. The gtld servers give the IP address to a resolving server for queries. After that, the glue record is cached but cannot be used again. This essentially means you can set the ns1 and ns2 names to whatever you want with the registrar but as long as the IP's are correct it will work. This isn't recommended of course...

As for a particular issue, more information would need to be provided to help troubleshoot.

Comments on this post

• MichaelWor agrees : I tried to add to your rep, but it wouldn't let me.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks Cap!

I'll find that book and hopefully learn something plus get up to speed on the terminology.

Michael
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would also recommend reading rfc's 1034 and 1035 if you feel really bored or have a lot of spare time. It's a whole lot to read and take in but a requirement in the understanding of DNS. RFC's are the basis of technical information, where it starts. So there is almost all the info you would need. DNS and BIND focuses mostly on BIND management and operation. So you may want to read the RFC's if you just want to know more about DNS.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1034.txt
    http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1035.txt

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo