1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using DNS to move port 80 requests to port 8080 (is this possible?)

Hi,

My knowledge of DNS and its tools are a bit shakey so I may be asking the impossible (or just asking nonsense)

I have a Ubuntu server runnning a web server on port 8080 which multiple URLs are going to hit.

Ideally I would like...

example.com to hit xx.xx.xx.xx:8080 but still look like example.com.

I was hoping to use zoneedit.com which I have always used but it disallows the port number. (I am sure it used to allow it but maybe my memory is going)

Is there an easy to use DNS server that will allow this?

Thanks
  3. Jealous Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can't set port numbers with DNS. It's not the right layer of technology - DNS has absolutely no care about what it's used for, be that FTP or HTTP or Samba or whatever.

Why not simply use port 80? Otherwise you'll have to set up a proxy on port 80 anyways.

[edit] And by "set up a proxy" I mean "find one that you may already have in some form and/or set one up yourself".
    Last edited by requinix; August 8th, 2011 at 06:36 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by requinix
    You can't set port numbers with DNS. It's not the right layer of technology - DNS has absolutely no care about what it's used for, be that FTP or HTTP or Samba or whatever.

Why not simply use port 80? Otherwise you'll have to set up a proxy on port 80 anyways.
    I thought so.

Trying to cram multiple applications onto one server for cost purposes.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Some routers allow for port translation so the outside world can talk to your site on port 80 but it squirts out of the router on port 8080. Then you wouldn't need the port in the url, but you'd have to do something different on the private network inside the router.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo