1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Records to resolve domain w/out host? (i.e. "example.com" vs. "www.example.com")

So I'm setting up a personal site using Amazon's EC2 and Route 53 (DNS) services and I can't figure this out. I'd like to get my domain name to resolve to the "www" host so that when someone visits "example.com" they're actually viewing "abc.example.com".

Got the domain through GoDaddy, but turned off all their DNS and use Route 53 instead. But Route 53 doesn't appear to have any way to configure "example.com" to point to an IP. Rather, all the records *have to* be in the form "*.example.com". Thus I can't create a record for just "example.com", and when I try to visit, I get DNS Resolution Error. "abc.example.com" works just fine.

What am I missing here? Do I need to run my own DNS server in order to resolve "example.com"? Or am I limited by my choice of service, and Amazon's requirement for "*.example.com" form prevents what I want to do?

Thanks in advance!
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What is your actual domain name?

example.com and www.example.com are two different hostnames so you should be able to configure them independently. Look for anything talking about a "zone apex".
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    What is your actual domain name?
    The domain is "testcore.net". The nameservers are recorded w/ GoDaddy, and the A Records w/ Route 53.

Originally Posted by requinix
    Look for anything talking about a "zone apex".
    Yeah can't find anything referring to a "zone apex" on either service.
  7. No Profile Picture

I am not familiar with Amazon's service, but yes you need to be able to have some flexibility with your DNS records. Rather than setting up your own DNS, I would suggest that you use GoDaddy's DNS manager. They have already invested lots of money to ensure that they provide a high fault tolerant DNS solution. I see no reason why you would want to spend money when you already have the solution included with your name registration.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo