1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS and private IPs

Hi,

I am a newbie in this forum, seeking for help......

I am familiar with basic networking procedures, routing, NATing etc, and DDNS services such as No-ip and DynDNS.

Now my question is. I have a workstation running Fedora 14 Linux. This is sitting behind a router which assigns it a private IP in the range 192.168.99.xxx. I have no administrative access to the router. At the moment I access the workstation from the rest of the world using Teamviewer since this does NAT traversal. Hamachi may also be an option, though the current linux version does not seem to be very stable. Is there any way I can get this private IP (which is actually dynamic but has a very very long lease) to map to some publicly available domain such that I can run an ftp server and web server and access them from anywhere simply by pointing to a domain name? DynDNS and No-IP do not work with private IPs, unless you can set up port forwarding from the router, and since I do not have administrative access to the router, that is not possible.

Many thanks !
  3. They're coming to take me away

To run any services behind a router, you need to enable port forwarding. The rest of the world can't see your private IP address, which is why you would need to port forward. Without admin access to the router, there's not much you can do.
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by hiker
    To run any services behind a router, you need to enable port forwarding. The rest of the world can't see your private IP address, which is why you would need to port forward. Without admin access to the router, there's not much you can do.
    Thanks for your rapid reply. I supposed as much. What I was hoping for was some client that I could install on my Fedora box, which would NAT traverse to a public domain somewhere, which I could then access. Teamviewer (freeware) for example, does an excellent job at providing remote control and file transfer services from any IP to any IP irrespective of whether either or both is private, public and located on any network behind any router or chain of routers.... truly amazing. This is at the expense of a middleman to which each Teamviewer client connects, and therefore there is an expense of bandwith, but I am happy to live with that, if I can use some similar system to map my private IP to a public domain.

Thanks again

Best regards

afen
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There are techniques that allow point to point connections between hosts that are behind NAT, but they require a middleman server to initiate the connection and it has to be supported by both the client application and the server application. Standard FTP and HTTP clients and servers do not support this.

If you have a server outside of the network that is publicly accessible then you could use that server to make the private workstation accessible to the outside, but you have to consider whether that is even worth doing (you could just host the content directly on that publicly accessible server). Basically your private server would connect to the public server over a VPN, and then the public server would act as a proxy to allow the world to connect to the private server.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by afen
    Hi,

I am a newbie in this forum, seeking for help......

I am familiar with basic networking procedures, routing, NATing etc, and DDNS services such as No-ip and DynDNS.

Now my question is. I have a workstation running Fedora 14 Linux. This is sitting behind a router which assigns it a private IP in the range 192.168.99.xxx. I have no administrative access to the router. At the moment I access the workstation from the rest of the world using Teamviewer since this does NAT traversal. Hamachi may also be an option, though the current linux version does not seem to be very stable. Is there any way I can get this private IP (which is actually dynamic but has a very very long lease) to map to some publicly available domain such that I can run an ftp server and web server and access them from anywhere simply by pointing to a domain name? DynDNS and No-IP do not work with private IPs, unless you can set up port forwarding from the router, and since I do not have administrative access to the router, that is not possible.

Many thanks !

i think Logme in and hamachi is the better option for u sir...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo