1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Google Apps with existing hosting that includes email

Greetings, all!

I'm working with an organization that currently runs their website using a hosting service that handles all of the backend for them (the organization is a church, and the hosting platform is FaithConnector). We're wanting to get the staff setup on Google Apps, but FC already has some email set up that they currently use for announcements lists. I'm wanting to let the two systems work together so that they can continue using FaithConnector for the distribution lists but use GApps for individual email. On the DNS side, what would be the best way to set this up?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I think I can probably boil this down to one question. I know that if an email address fails to resolve on an MX record on a nameserver, it will try to be resolved on the next MX record. Does this same principle apply across name servers (so if an address fails to resolve on any MX records on a nameserver, will it try to resolve on the next nameserver or will it start over trying to resolve on the first nameserver's MX records)?

Hopefully that makes a little more sense.
  3. No Profile Picture

If you have one email domain, you cannot have your mail hosted in two different places for the purposes of splitting up email mailboxes for people on one site and distribution lists on the other.

Mail servers use MX records to send mail to each other. Generally, you have more than one MX record so that you can send messages to a different SMTP server in the event that your primary server is down. If a mailbox is not found by sending mail to the server from the first MX record, the next MX record is NOT used. That is not the purpose of MX records.

What you can do is have two email domains and split mail services between two systems.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by [JM]
    If you have one email domain, you cannot have your mail hosted in two different places for the purposes of splitting up email mailboxes for people on one site and distribution lists on the other.

Mail servers use MX records to send mail to each other. Generally, you have more than one MX record so that you can send messages to a different SMTP server in the event that your primary server is down. If a mailbox is not found by sending mail to the server from the first MX record, the next MX record is NOT used. That is not the purpose of MX records.

What you can do is have two email domains and split mail services between two systems.
    Thanks for anticipating my next question! So, theoretically, I could have staff emails on domain.org and lists on lists.domain.org (or similar)?
  7. No Profile Picture

Yes, because for the domain "domain.org" you can have one MX record pointing to a mail system, and then for the sub-domain "lists.domain.org", you can have a different MX record pointing to a different mail system.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo