1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Possible DNS/Propagation Issue? Please Help

Hi - I am new here.

I am having what I believe to be a DNS issue and wondered whether anyone can help.

We have recently built a new website for a client.

There old site was on Server A.

After transferring their domain to ourselves we have repointed the DNS at our servers ('Server B').

The domain has propagated but I cannot see the new site on my home router, instead I am repeatadly taken to the old site, and I believe it may be a router issue, here's why...

When connected to my home router (BT Home Hub 3) either wirelessly or wired with my Laptop, iPad, PC or iPhone I get taken to the old site.

When connected to a 3G hotspot (using my phone) on my Laptop, iPad, PC or iPhone I get taken the new site.

Everybody outside of my network can access the new site without a problem, regardless of access point.

I have tried this on 4 different browsers, I have hard reset my router, restarted my devices and flushed the DNS with no luck. Please help me, its driving me mad and BT are next to useless! (NB: Im not a DNS expert so plain English answers or suggestions would be kindly received).

Also when I ping the site (just-ping.com), I get the correct IP returned but 100% packets lost.

Thank you in advance.

[I'm on Windows 7]
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by jaylaw
    Hi - I am new here.

I am having what I believe to be a DNS issue and wondered whether anyone can help.

We have recently built a new website for a client.

There old site was on Server A.

After transferring their domain to ourselves we have repointed the DNS at our servers ('Server B').

The domain has propagated but I cannot see the new site on my home router, instead I am repeatadly taken to the old site, and I believe it may be a router issue, here's why...

When connected to my home router (BT Home Hub 3) either wirelessly or wired with my Laptop, iPad, PC or iPhone I get taken to the old site.

When connected to a 3G hotspot (using my phone) on my Laptop, iPad, PC or iPhone I get taken the new site.

Everybody outside of my network can access the new site without a problem, regardless of access point.

I have tried this on 4 different browsers, I have hard reset my router, restarted my devices and flushed the DNS with no luck. Please help me, its driving me mad and BT are next to useless! (NB: Im not a DNS expert so plain English answers or suggestions would be kindly received).

Also when I ping the site (just-ping.com), I get the correct IP returned but 100% packets lost.

Thank you in advance.

[I'm on Windows 7]
    When you say that it has propagated, the question is how far? Propagation to the root servers is just the first step. Each DNS server has it's own cache, and it has to time out before it gets the new address. When you move a domain, it is best to reduce the TTL to a minimum before you make the actual change.

If you can't afford to wait, try using different DNS servers, such as the OpenDNS servers. In Windows, you do not have to use the default servers assigned by DHCP. When you do, remember to clear your own DNS cache with the "ipconfig /flushdns" command.

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Make sure you don't have a forgotten left-over hosts file entry on your computer is one guess.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo