1. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Website still points to old server

I switched hosting companies for a domain that I own, waldenanimaldeli.com, and I changed the domain name server over 48 hours ago. If I ping the domain name it shows the new IP address. If I use the traceroute command it shows the path it takes to the new hosting location. I ssh to the new location and edit the home page without a problem. I cannot ssh to the old location, obviously.
    The data, though, comes from the old server.

Is there some sort of setting that I have missed that needs to change so the data will come from the new hosting location? I have moved close to 15 domains and this is the first issue that we are having.

<edit>I have tried this on different computers and I have flushed the computer's DNS</edit>

<edit>I used curl and it pulled the data from the old server.</edit>
    Thanks, Evan
    Last edited by epanagio; May 26th, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Evan
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

waldenanimaldeli.com translates to 68.233.34.82 hosted by ns1.wheretogofromhere.com & ns2.wheretogofromhere.com. The Web page comes up as Walden Animal Deli. How can you tell that the data is wrong? Do you know the directory where your web data is stored on the new server? If so, you can use the IP and directory directly in your browser. If the old data was copied over to the new server in one directory, and then modified and placed in a different directory, the server could be pointed to the wrong directory as default.

J.A. Coutts
  5. Contributing User

I know that the data still points to the old hosting place because if I rename the directory where the data is stored on the old server and after that I refresh the browser window...I get a 404.

If I use http://68.233.34.82/index.php/2012/05/7-week-old-beagle-puppies-looking-for-a-good-home/ instead of http://www.waldenanimaldeli.com/index.php/2012/05/7-week-old-beagle-puppies-looking-for-a-good-home/ I get a 404.

This is a wordpress site. I went in the new hosting place and in the index.php I inserted a
    die('This is a test');
    and when I go to the root of the website, www.waldenanimaldeli.com, I see the data instead on the result of the die().

This is driving me crazy.
    Evan
  7. Contributing User

WOW! I just went to http://zend2.com/, a site where you go to surf anonymously and after I enter the URL I get the "This is a test" message from the new server.

What the what?
    Evan

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo