1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Real Newbie to dns ns help here!~

hi.
    ive been reading/watching videos on dns and also how to put it in the foward lookup zones and reverse,
    i dont understand..

A: WHERe DO THE IP address come from? eg.
    lets say i now have a small office of 1 windows 2008 server and 4 windows 7 machines

so step
    1 : - go subscribe to a isp and ask them to give me a static ip in which i put into my network conenction in ip address?- is that the same ip i have to put in the forwad lookup zones?

thx!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

what exactly is it you are trying to do??

also, in the uk most isp's dont give out static ips...
    i dont know if this is the same everywhere though.
  5. No Profile Picture

Unhappy

Bascially, u know when u have a new windows 2008 server
    what is the ip address we are supposd to input into the static ip field? and where do we get that ip address

Part 2
    say once the static ip is configured and all..

the way the clients work is..

Client pc for example types in "(google dot com: See forum rules) "
    so what actually happens?
    the client pc sends a request to your office dns server asking "what is /where is this "google dot com addy"?
    but i see inside the servers lookup foaraedr its only the static ip of the server:aka the ip address.?

Originally Posted by private_html
    what exactly is it you are trying to do??

also, in the uk most isp's dont give out static ips...
    i dont know if this is the same everywhere though.
  7. No Profile Picture

I know this thread is a bit old, but this might help... I run my own DNS server at home... Here is how mine is set up

IP address from ISP - 001.001.001.001 (example)
    IP Address of DHCP Server 192.168.1.23
    IP Address of DNS Server 192.168.1.24

Bascially, u know when u have a new windows 2008 server
    what is the ip address we are supposd to input into the static ip field? and where do we get that ip address
    If I understand this correctly, you can are looking to assign a Static IP address to the Server. This can be done a few ways.

If you have a DHCP Server configured. Get the MAC address of the server you are using for DNS and assign it a reservation.

If you are using a residential router - Get the Physical MAC address and do the same thing.

If this is in a work environment. You will have to assign that server a Reservation on the DHCP server. (if you are using VLANS at work, and layer 2 switches, ensure you put the server on the right VLAN, and assign it a IP that is in that VLAN or you will break it)

Or you can go into the Control Panel - network settings, and manually change the I.P. address to what ever you want.

Client pc for example types in "(google dot com: See forum rules) "
    so what actually happens?
    the client pc sends a request to your office dns server asking "what is /where is this "google dot com addy"?
    but i see inside the servers lookup foaraedr its only the static ip of the server:aka the ip address.?
    There are a few answers to this question... The long way of doing this, is doing a nslookup using a public dns server such as 8.8.8.8 and looking up the IP's for the sites you want, and then gong into the DNS server and creating forward lookup zone entries for each IP address to direct to that site.

Another way you can do this is to set forwarders up.

There is an option under properties > forwarders under DNS domain that says all other DNS domains. you can add public DNS server IP's to this list such as 8.8.8.8 : 4.4.4.4 ext. ext.

So, if you want your DNS to have entries for specific sites, you have to do an NSLOOKUP for the IP's to that site and create the entry, and for everything else, just set a DNS forward, and that will take care of your network not able to communicate with the internet.

Another tip for you. If you want to prevent access to certain sites, you can do that with DNS (only if the user isn't inputting an IP address to get to the site)

To do this, under forwarders - DNS domain: create a new option say it's for google.com once you add it go to selected domains forwarder IP address list, and add public DNS servers for google.com

This set up, allows you to control what sites users can resolve, and what sites users cant resolve.

Though with this option you will have to NOT put any DNS server IP's under the All other DNS domains sections, or it will defeat the purpose...

Hope this helps.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo