1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with dnsextd and BIND on Ubuntu

Hello.
    I currently have Ubuntu 12.04 Server running BIND 9.8.1. It is a simple dynamic dns server setup for testing and there is no encryption key involved. Everything appears to be working. I am able to dynamically update the DNS using nsupdate from a client machine and verify that the records were added using dig.

I am attempting to install the dnsextd so that it can support Long Lived Queries (DNS-LLQ). I reconfigured bind to listen on port 5030 and to allow-updates from 127.0.0.1 (previously set to any). After restarting bind and starting dnsextd, I can no longer dynamically update dns records using nsupdate. I get an update failed: REFUSED.

I've also tried changing allow-updates back to any but I get the same problem.

I was hoping if anyone here has any experience successfully setting up dnsextd on linux.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hey all.
    I narrowed down my problem. I'm getting the output error in dnsextd when attempting to dyamically add a record with nsupdate

"Rejecting Update Request with 1 additions but no lease".

Looking at the code, it seems like a lease time is not defined when doing dynamic updating. Is there additional settings for bind/dnsextd that I need to set some default lease time? Or is there another parameter I need to specify when doing the dynamic updating?
    I'll continue to investigate but if anyone has come across this before, let me know.
    thanks!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo