1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Strange problem with djbdns dnscache (solved)

Hi all. I'm having a puzzling issue with my dnscache server all of a sudden, though no changes have been made and the current config has worked for ages. I'll try to provide as much detail as I can.

I am running djbdns dnscache for local resolution on my network.

The machine is FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE

The problem began Monday morning some time after 10:00am. It just sort of "happened." No changes to the firewall or dns config were made.

Essentially, I can only reach about half the internet. For example, Amazon.com comes up but it's css and many images are broken. Some digging lead me to believe the problem is that akamai.net, who hosts content for a lot of major sites, has changed many of it's server's IP addresses, but my caching server will not update no matter what I've tried.

Here is some sample output, from a shell that is totally outside my network (I get the same results from other places like freeshell)

> dnsqr A a1886.g.akamai.net
    1 a1886.g.akamai.net:
    68 bytes, 1+2+0+0 records, response, noerror
    query: 1 a1886.g.akamai.net
    answer: a1886.g.akamai.net 20 A 23.3.105.66
    answer: a1886.g.akamai.net 20 A 23.3.105.67

Here is the same query on my dnscache server:

dnsqr A a1886.g.akamai.net
    1 a1886.g.akamai.net:
    68 bytes, 1+2+0+0 records, response, noerror
    query: 1 a1886.g.akamai.net
    answer: a1886.g.akamai.net 20 A 69.22.138.11
    answer: a1886.g.akamai.net 20 A 69.22.138.34

Note: the query being done is based on copying the image url of a broken link on one site, I've repeated this with several others, and the result is the same.

If I put in Google's free DNS on my pc, everything works fine.

I have restarted dnscache (running out of /service) and even gone so far as to reboot the box out of desperation.

Again, I have minimal firewall rules which haven't been changed, nor has my DNSCACHE config.

Any suggestions on what I could try next would be greatly appreciated. This is just bizarre.

Thanks in advance,
    -J
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Nevermind. Apparently Akamai's CDN was broken and they literally just got it fixed.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo