1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Pointing my Ubuntu webserver box to my domain name

Hi guys,

I have installed Ubuntu Linux as a webserver, and i want to host it via internet so i purchased a domain name from solutions network.

Do i need to install bind9 to configure named.conf so that i could point it to my Domain Name? (mydomain.org ). As per checking on the domain portal, do i have to replace the IP address of mydomain.org with the local pc isp external ip address and wait for 24 hours? My internet is DHCP.

Regards,
    Don
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You need to do some more research, maybe something in here will help

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...ient=firefox-a

If your isp gives you dhcp IP you'll need a dynamic dns service. Also make sure your isp doesn't block http traffic.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks Doug! I have already properly setup my webserver. And its now visible on the internet. Do i really have to subscribe to DYN DNS? If i run bind does it do the same job with DYN DNS? Since my dsl dynamic ip address always change, then i have to manually add the external ip address to A records on my domain portal?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If your external public ip is changing you must use a dynamic dns service, or change your internet service plan to one with a fixed public ip address. Running your own bind dns server cannot help, unless that server is also authoritative for your domain.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo