1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Redirect from different domain

Hi guys.

We have the first domain we'll call this.... domain1

we have then setup specific pages for a particular project within this..... this would look like domain1/projects/coolproject

we want to register a second domain (domain2) and have this redirect to the url mentioned aboive for the project (domain1/projects/coolproject).

I talked to the tech guys for the company managing our domain DNS and they said this cant be done.......

I am keen to have a second opinion....if anyone here can advise?

many thanks guys.... just let me now if I haven't made this very clear or if you need more info.

apparently cos im a new poster i cant submit URLs in the post, fair enough i guess.... hope you cans till figure what i am trying to say?

Cheers.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can't perform redirection using DNS. domain2 will need to be pointed at a web server, then the web server can perform the redirection.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks for that.

So we would need to create a simple html page with a redirect function in..... then have a seperate hosting server (IP) configured to enable the overall function yes?

thanks again bro.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

It needs to point at a web server, yes. It does not have to be on a separate IP or server from the domain that you're redirecting to. You could do the redirect with an HTML page. You could also just program the web server to redirect the user directly, using something like mod_rewrite.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo