Thread: First Time

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

First Time

Hello to everyone!

i am very new to this world.. i have read a few posts before creating an account but i am still very confused!!

before asking questions i would like to explain my situation:
    i have a VPS with Windows 2008 Server R2 and i have a domain bought from a registrar, let's say the name is example.it

now this domain has 2 nameservers setted which are ns1.itsexample.it and ns2.itsexample.it

since in my VPS i have a very nice and power plesk panel and since i would like to be able to make subdomains and emails for my example.it, i have read that i need to configure a DNS server.

so i read a lot and started my quest:
    using the Server Manager i added a new role to my VPS and installed the DNS Server, then using the Administration Tools -> DNS i added a new zone to the forward lookup zones.. i added a primary zone and called this zone example.it
    then i clicked on the domain and added a host (A or AAAA) and called this ns1 and placed the VPS ip here, repeated this step twice so that i also had a ns2 with the same ip.

now, if i ask my registrar to change the ns1.itsexample.it to ns1.itsexample.it to ns1.example.it and ns2.example.it should i be able to use subdomain and emails created in my plesk panel from now on?

or am i missing some operations to this, this seems to easy to be already completed.

thank you
    hope someone helps me out even though i am new here!
    Simone
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When you register a domain and assign DNS servers to that domain, you are simply telling the root servers where the authoritative DNS information is being stored. Those DNS servers must be registered as DNS servers. You can't just assign any old name as host. I would advise against operating your own DNS server unless you absolutely have to.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by couttsj
    When you register a domain and assign DNS servers to that domain, you are simply telling the root servers where the authoritative DNS information is being stored. Those DNS servers must be registered as DNS servers. You can't just assign any old name as host. I would advise against operating your own DNS server unless you absolutely have to.
    hello, thanks for replying.

so, for instance, if i want to create 10 emails and 5 subdomains i have no other way than asking the registrar of my domain?

i really would like to avoid that costs since i have a VPS which is meant to do that instead of the registrar.

what step am i missing to get the setup complete? do you have another guide to let me continue this test?

i have just received a reply from my registrar which is saying that the NIC doesn't recognize my ns1.example.it and ns2.example.it
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mstation
    i have just received a reply from my registrar which is saying that the NIC doesn't recognize my ns1.example.it and ns2.example.it
    That is basically what I was telling you. A DNS server has to be registered as a DNS server.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by couttsj
    That is basically what I was telling you. A DNS server has to be registered as a DNS server.
    hi again!

i talked with the support of my VPS telling them the problem about the dns not being recognized.. so they said they fix the problem and gave me 2 new dns.. as far as i can see one points to the IP of my VPS while the other replies to the ping giving an IP i never seen before.

anyhow i forwared these 2 new dns to my registrar asking them to change them and they already replied saying that they did it.

how much time will it possibly need to have the change affected since in the whois i can still see the old ones and in the status i can read "pendingUpdate"?

also in the DNS configuration i first made i still have setted the ns1.example.it and ns2.example.it which don't match at all with the new dns i have, should i have to change this setting?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

When you change a DNS in the domain record, that IP address is changed in the primary root server and then it propagates to the rest of the root servers. It used to be done at midnight, but it appears to be more often now. From there it has to propagate to all the other DNS servers around the world, and that time can vary. It is quite dependent on what the TTL (Time To Live) setting was on the previous record. DNS servers do not refresh their cache from the root servers until the TTL has expired. DNS servers can however disregard this setting and establish their own minimums and maximums. As long as the TTL was set low enough, these changes will occur within 48 hours, but can take longer.

J.A. Coutts

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo