Thread: DNS / MX setup

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DNS / MX setup

Hello All,
    I'm somewhat of a Newbie when it comes to DNS servers and configuration. I've recently began playing Email hosting. Most of it's pretty straight forward, except I can't seem to get the MX record correct for my situation. My DNS server it self is functioning normally (as I far as I can tell.) Doing a DNS lookup my domain resolves to the correct address. Doing an MX query however I keep getting a loopback error. I've followed all the examples I could get my hands on when setting up an MX record, but it just doesn't seem to be working properly. I know it's probably something silly I'm overlooking but I have no idea what. What should I be checking?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Without the actual Domain Name, we can only guess. The MX record itself only returns the name of the server providing the service. You must also supply an A record for that server.

J.A. Coutts
  5. No Profile Picture

The domain name is three.tk
    The first attempt I created an A record for mail.three.tk which has an assigned IP address for my mail server. I then created an MX record that pointed to mail.three.tk.
    That did not work. I still kept getting the loop error.
    I think created a new A record for Mail.penncodomain.edu (work domian where I'm trying to set this configuration up) i then set up an mx record to point the domain three.tk at mail.penncodomain.edu. Again I got the same error. i've tried several variations with no luck yet. i keep getting the same error.

here is the basic setup. I registered a free domain at dot.tk. It's called three.tk The domain resolves correctly to my external IP address. My Domain Server, which is seperate from my mail server hosts PenncoDomain.edu (Is the actual server name relavant?) On this server I have two primary zones. One is the domain PenncoDomain.edu. The other primary zone is three.tk. I've tried to configure both to point email traffic to my mail server, which i've assigned as Mail.three.tk in both zones. Then created an mx record that points three.tk to that mail server. No matter how I have it setup I get a loop error.

i'm begining to wonder if the problem is external to my server, as i can remove traces of the domain three.tk from my servers and i still get the same error?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

three.tk A record lookup returns [69.253.185.12] and no Authority records or Additional records. An MX record lookup returns only a single Authority record, no Answer record.

J.A. Coutts
  9. No Profile Picture

The A record lookup for three.tk is correct. That is my external IP address. when I do an MX lookup I get:
    "Loop detected! We were referred back to '85.214.136.249'"
    This is the part I have no idea how to fix? What am I missing here?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Querying the root servers directs us to:
    a.ns.tk
    b.ns.tk
    c.ns.tk
    d.ns.tk
    Querying anyone of those directs us to:
    ns01.dot.tk [88.198.132.99]
    ns02.dot.tk [217.68.243.19]
    ns03.dot.tk [85.214.136.249]
    ns04.dot.tk [217.199.176.121]
    Querying ns01.dot.tk for A record gives us [69.253.185.12]
    Querying ns02.dot.tk for A record refers us to Root Servers
    Querying ns03.dot.tk for A record refers us to Root Servers
    Querying ns04.dot.tk for A record refers us to Root Servers

Not being familiar with the .tk Top Level Domain, are these servers part of the TLD service, or are they the Host? It sounds a lot like they are part of the TLD service. When you register a domain, you simply register whoever is going to act as Host for your domain. Then you add a zone record to the host containing your domain information, such as SOA, A, MX etc.

J.A. Coutts
  13. No Profile Picture

I think the problem is going to lie with .tk itself. I have created the necessary A records, but while I can create an MX record on my server pointing internally, I am unable to create an MX record with the .tk servers. They have a utility to do this, however once MX record is selected it will not allow you to change the host name. Unfortunately when you go to save the record it always returns an error of "Invalid Host"?
    Customer support is someone lacking for that particular domain. I think I'm going to have to try another free service. I'd rather not pay for one since this is just for my educational benefit.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo