1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

URL incorrect in google search

Hi,

Sorry if I am posting this question in the wrong place, but I'm not sure what is causing my problem.

When I google my website's store name "Foxy Fly Travel" and google returns the results, the url it gives is incorrect. It looks like a hosting url or something and not my actual url. You can still click on it and it takes you to the right website but the url is still not correct. What's weird is that if I google one of my products or categories the results that are returned contain my correct url. So it's just for my homepage.

When asking my webhost they told me to ask an SEO expert, and others have told me that's not right, it could be my .htaccess or a DNS issue, so not really sure what's going on or how to fix this.

Forgive me I am totally new to all this. If anyone has any idea what this could be please help!!

Thanks!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

It simply has to do with the way Google works. It still gets you to the right place. A forward lookup on your domain name shows:
    foxyflytravel.com.au - [112.140.181.42]
    but a reverse lookup on that IP address shows:
    rev15-syds1-n1s.hosting-services.net.au

You would have to convince your Internet provider to delegate the authority for the PTR record in order to change that. PTR records are top down driven.

J.A. Coutts

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo