1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need Advice for Transfering Domain Names from godaddy

Hi,
    I have purchased 4 domains for 2 years each from godaddy three weeks ago. Now I am interested in transferring my domains to another registrar and also deep concern in refunding as well. I have called them and asked for the solution they said not refunding for the domains allowed and advice me not to cancel the domains from the system and wait for 60 days atleast as per the universal policy.
    My question is as the payment for domain on godaddy is non-refundable for me so should I wait for 2 years and should utilize my payment then go for transfer my domains to my selected registrar or should I immediately switch to transfer after 60 day period.

Kindly Advice
  3. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Their legalese says that you can't transfer within the first 60 days and that they don't give refunds except in the first five days. So I'd just let the two years go. I know they're bad but as long as you don't have to interact with them then there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Any particular reason you want to move?
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Their legalese says that you can't transfer within the first 60 days and that they don't give refunds except in the first five days. So I'd just let the two years go. I know they're bad but as long as you don't have to interact with them then there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Any particular reason you want to move?

Right! that is what I thought.... just I'd like to confirm. Instead of waiting for 60 days and lost money from godaddy and pay again to new registrar if I use the complete time frame i.e 2 years for each domain on godaddy which I already paid for (as payment not refundable for me now) and after 2 years utilizing my payment then transfer all domains to the desired registrar. Because this will safe my money...

Yes! several reasons behind for leaving godaddy. One of the main problems are:
    1) security issues
    2) poor support
    3) overpriced
    GoDaddy ($24.94/year)
    $14.99/year for Domain Renewal
    $2.95/year for Email Forwarding
    $7.00/year for WhoIs Protection

4) speed and performance too slow
    5) ethical issues and against the principles and rights
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for your quick reply.
  9. Lazy Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

1. Yeah
    2. Yeah
    3. Money's already paid so just make sure you transfer within the next couple years
    4. Too slow for your use?
    5. Yeah

The uncomfortable truth is that you've already given them money and can't get it back. Wait out the 60 days and see how they perform, whether you need support (I've never needed support for a domain name), that kind of thing. Hang around until you have issues with them: get service for the money you've already paid, then transfer when you have problems.
  11. No Profile Picture

3. yes! I will
    4. yes! not in my case only... complain for godaddy server from other users too.

Right!.. Thanks for your suggestion.
  13. No Profile Picture

You can transfer the domain name at your next renewal data since you need to make payment for domain name transfer since domain name transfer is not free. Domain name transfer is almost like registering a new domain name at different registrar.
  15. No Profile Picture

You can wait for it and transfer right before they expire OR you can actual transfer after the 60 days and you will keep the years you paid for at the new registrar.

When you transfer, you pay for the transfer which gives you 1 year of registration ON TOP of whatever length of time you had already paid in your old registrar. So, no need to wait 2 years, wait the 60 days and then make the move if you really don't like Godaddy.

For the record, we moved over 65 domains from Godaddy in a 2 year period (some we wanted to move right away, others we preferred to wait). That is how I know that your paid registration remains in the new registrar and is added to the year you get for transferring.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by maha rafa
    Hi,
    I have purchased 4 domains for 2 years each from godaddy three weeks ago. Now I am interested in transferring my domains to another registrar and also deep concern in refunding as well. I have called them and asked for the solution they said not refunding for the domains allowed and advice me not to cancel the domains from the system and wait for 60 days atleast as per the universal policy.
    My question is as the payment for domain on godaddy is non-refundable for me so should I wait for 2 years and should utilize my payment then go for transfer my domains to my selected registrar or should I immediately switch to transfer after 60 day period.

Kindly Advice
    MarioCanamar is right. You do not lose any time on the domain name if you transfer to a new registrar. I'd suggest that you move out of GoDaddy as soon as the 60-day period is over. When you transfer the domain name to the new registrar, you get one additional year added to the original expiration date.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo