1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to analyze a hard disk byte by byte

Is there any software that will help me view the contents of my disk byte by byte?
    Some hex editors allow us to see the files present in a directory and then open the file, then view and/or edit the file byte by byte
    So for this to work the OS should know that the sequence of bytes is a file of certain type
    and it will show me each and every byte of the file until the end is reached
    So for the OS to recognise it as a file there should some kind of header or pointer to the beginning of the file, and some kind of EOF character as well, stored in the hard disk (as per the structure of the file system I guess (?) )
    What I wanted to know was is there any software that will let me view these headers and end of file characters as well
    So for example, using this software I would be able to see the value of the pointers that determine where a folder starts in the hard drive
    So in effect I should be able to see each and every byte of the hard disk, from byte no 0 to byte no whatever the size of the hard disk is
    Is there any program that would let me do this?
    and perhaps having some extra features as well, such as when it sees a particular pointer structure it knows that it is a folder and shows this fact to us using an icon, or it sees a particular sequence of bytes and knows that it is the MBR and notifies us as such

I hope I was able to explain what kind of program I mean
    Thank you very much
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't know of any such software off the top of my head, but it is possible that some could exist. It could allow you to see exactly what the operating system sees when it reads the disk, although this might not necessarily be the physical contents of the disk drive due to the disk firmware sitting between the physical disk and the motherboard. It is impractical to bypass the disk firmware for modern disks.

The structure of files and directories on the disk is determined by the file system. Modern file systems do not use a "end of file" character, the length of the file is stored in the header.

when it sees a particular pointer structure it knows that it is a folder and shows this fact to us using an icon
    This is what a file browser like Explorer does.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    I don't know of any such software off the top of my head, but it is possible that some could exist. It could allow you to see exactly what the operating system sees when it reads the disk, although this might not necessarily be the physical contents of the disk drive due to the disk firmware sitting between the physical disk and the motherboard. It is impractical to bypass the disk firmware for modern disks.

The structure of files and directories on the disk is determined by the file system. Modern file systems do not use a "end of file" character, the length of the file is stored in the header.

This is what a file browser like Explorer does.
    Thank you very much
    I found a software called WinHex which allows us to do this in Windows, as well as hexedit for linux. Comparatively, hexedit is quite primitive though

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo