1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Free tools for embedded systems development.

I'll start this off with my favorite schematic capture program:

Eagle is a low priced professional grade schematic capture and board layout tool that can be used for non-commercial use for free. It's stable and it can read/write all the standard file formats. The free version is limited to a single page schematic per file and only two layers, but that's generally not a real limitation for hobbyists.

Comments on this post

• Wetmelon agrees : Fantastic, simple program with lots of power. Just designed, made, drilled, and wired my first board starting with Eagle :D
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.
  3. Contributing User

Since it is quiet around here, I'll play:

WinARM GNU ARM cross-toolchain that is Windows hosted without needing Cygwin.

WinAVR GNU AVR cross-toolchain that is Windows hosted without needing Cygwin.

SDCC GCC-like cross compiler for parts that GCC does not reach (i.e. really small ones).

FatFs - Embedded FAT filesystem. Put a file-system on pretty much anything that has three spare I/O lines or an SPI interface (using a cheap SD card), other media drivers supported.

EFSL Another embedded file system library similar to the above.

Umbrello UML modelling tool. It is a KDE/Linux app, but I have run it successfully in a Virtual Machine running Ubuntu, although Kubuntu might be more appropriate. I used VMWare's free VM tools (VM Player or VM Server) and a pre-configured Virtual Drive from here - just type your preferred distro in the search box.
    Last edited by clifford; November 3rd, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A recent program I discovered called Yenka can do some interestingly powerful yet very simple circuit simulation. Doesn't have the power of 5Spice or MicroCAP, but you can get a free copy for home use!
    <Tetrad> the program I just wrote 1) compiled the first time without any errors and 2) worked like it was supposed to
    <Tetrad> I don't know whether to be proud or scared to death
    Originally Posted by DaWei_M
    That covers a multitude of your sins, right there.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo