1. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Resources for learning Embedded Programming

Any and all non-repetitive resources for learning embedded programming should go here.

I'll start us off with the obvious.

The Arduino is an extremely inexpensive microprocessor with plenty of I/O pins to do everything you'd want.
    http://arduino.cc (note: They don't sell the product; you'll need to buy it from a supplier.
    My recommendation for beginners: Buy a pair of Arduino Duemilanove microprocessors. 95% chance you'll burn one by accident.

For the more advanced user, you might want to learn more about how the arduino works by making one yourself. You get the components and a breadboard and wire it up. This may even be cheaper than buying one! Though obviously less useful.

You can buy an Arduino starter kit from adafruit. Not terribly expensive, either.

Ladyada is a site run by a very competent ... lady (as the name would imply). She has a huge amount of projects and kits for sale on her site (with full-picture instructions for soldering, etcetera.) More useful projects include the MintyBoost, the XBee Arduino shield, the protoshield, and the motor controller / motor shield.
    http://ladyada.net
    Last edited by gimp; October 22nd, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  3. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Last edited by gimp; October 4th, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

I once read an article on using a microwave oven for reflow soldering! Where did I see that?

Don't try that home kiddies, placing certain metalic objects in your microwave can lead to fires and high energy RF exposure. Here's a white paper I just found on the subject:

]http://www.izm.fhg.de/fhg/Images/SMTA_Rosemont2006_Nowottnick_tcm357-119127.pdf
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo