#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    11

    Few questions before starting a project


    Hello,

    I am planning to build a submarine from scratch, I know there are plenty of kits out there, but where is the fun of that?



    Budget is limited but since I am college student, I may be able to get some components for a lower price.

    I still do not know how I will control it. I would really like to use rf, but I am afraid that would be way over my league.


    For the hull I will use PVC.
    For the pumps I have compiled this list:
    Rule
    attwood
    Seachoice
    I need some advice on those


    If I decide to put a camera. Can I still use RF ? I want to control de sub from a computer.
    I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    94
    Cool.
    A word of advice: underwater-RF is a b*tch- you MAY be able to find a solution for very low depths, but without an antenna on the surface you'll NEVER achieve decent data-throughput.
    Basically: Forget about RF from below-surface to surface, if you dont want to write your bachelor thesis on the matter

    You'll also have to think about how to communicate with your PC- I'd suggest USB.
    Buy a demo-board with the µController you intend to use, and make it exchange data with a Host-Application running on your desktop... I'm currently messing with an ARM Cortex M3 (STM32f103); the demoboard (for experimenting) cost ~80€, but came with display, µC, accelerometer, joystick, SD-slot, etc. The µC alone costs <10€ a piece, programmer/debugger devices cost <40€. Devices targeted at the hobbyist- market may be cheaper and still sufficient for your purposes (search for AVR, PIC).

    I could give more specific advice if I knew about your skills (esp. soldering and C-programming).
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,417
    Rep Power
    887
    Ultra-sound is the best cheap way to do sub to surface communications. You can use several of them, each in a different frequency range to transmit quite a lot of data with some very simple error correcting protocols.

    As for the pumps; your going to run into power limitations. The bigger your batteries, the greater the volume of your sub and the more power you need just to propel it. What sort of propulsion system are you planning on using?
    I no longer wish to be associated with this site.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    11
    Originally Posted by h4rdc0ded
    Cool.
    A word of advice: underwater-RF is a b*tch- you MAY be able to find a solution for very low depths, but without an antenna on the surface you'll NEVER achieve decent data-throughput.
    Basically: Forget about RF from below-surface to surface, if you dont want to write your bachelor thesis on the matter
    I will stay away from rf then (for now ).

    Originally Posted by h4rdc0ded
    You'll also have to think about how to communicate with your PC- I'd suggest USB.
    Buy a demo-board with the µController you intend to use, and make it exchange data with a Host-Application running on your desktop... I'm currently messing with an ARM Cortex M3 (STM32f103); the demoboard (for experimenting) cost ~80€, but came with display, µC, accelerometer, joystick, SD-slot, etc. The µC alone costs <10€ a piece, programmer/debugger devices cost <40€. Devices targeted at the hobbyist- market may be cheaper and still sufficient for your purposes (search for AVR, PIC).
    If I use USB, the maximum range would be approximately 5 meters, right?
    Originally Posted by h4rdc0ded
    I could give more specific advice if I knew about your skills (esp. soldering and C-programming).
    I am very comfortable with C, can't say the same for soldering - but hey, practice makes perfect





    Originally Posted by jwdonahue
    Ultra-sound is the best cheap way to do sub to surface communications. You can use several of them, each in a different frequency range to transmit quite a lot of data with some very simple error correcting protocols.
    Ultra-sound does seems perfect, but I have 0 knowledge on that. Maybe for a future version of the sub.

    Originally Posted by jwdonahue
    As for the pumps; your going to run into power limitations. The bigger your batteries, the greater the volume of your sub and the more power you need just to propel it. What sort of propulsion system are you planning on using?
    Well, I was planning to use the bilge pumps as rudimentary propulsion system. As for power, I believe I have 2 viable options:
    - Have a cable for communication (cat5) and another for power
    - Have only one cable (cat5) and use power over ethernet.

    Batteries do not make much sense now, since I will have to have a cable from the sub to the laptop.
  8. #5
  9. <?PHP user_title("gimp"); ?>
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    7,652
    Rep Power
    6084
    Do you know how you're getting around that whole "water and circuits don't mix well" issue?
    Chat Server Project & Tutorial | WiFi-remote-control sailboat (building) | Joke Thread
    “Rational thinkers deplore the excesses of democracy; it abuses the individual and elevates the mob. The death of Socrates was its finest fruit.”
    Use XXX in a comment to flag something that is bogus but works. Use FIXME to flag something that is bogus and broken. Use TODO to leave yourself reminders. Calling a program finished before all these points are checked off is lazy.
    -Partial Credit: Sun

    If I ask you to redescribe your problem, it's because when you describe issues in detail, you often get a *click* and you suddenly know the solutions.
    Ches Koblents

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo