1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

USB SD Card Reader.

I am looking for information regarding the programming to read and write data to and from my SD Card Reader/Writer which happens to be a Gear Head CR3000MSD. My OS is Ubuntu 11.1 Ocelot and it handles the device very well so I know there is source code somewhere but I do not know where to find it. Would the SD Card source code be a part of the Linux Kernel? The only code I have been able to download so far was off an offshore website and I don't know if it is even worth my time yet to start organizing all of it. Can anyone offer me some help out? Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by sepoto
    I am looking for information regarding the programming to read and write data to and from my SD Card Reader/Writer which happens to be a Gear Head CR3000MSD. My OS is Ubuntu 11.1 Ocelot and it handles the device very well so I know there is source code somewhere but I do not know where to find it. Would the SD Card source code be a part of the Linux Kernel? The only code I have been able to download so far was off an offshore website and I don't know if it is even worth my time yet to start organizing all of it. Can anyone offer me some help out? Thanks!
    I believe the code that knows how to access an SD flash card is built into the reader itself. The card reader exposes an interface that makes the SD card look like a USB Mass Storage device, which uses only the usual filesystem semantics for access.

There seems to be a bit of non-disclosure contractual aspect to the use us SD access code, and I don't think any of it has yet leaked out to the public domain. I don't know the details, but one SBC vendor that I've used who includes source code for all of their product says they are unable to disclose how to access their SD readers, and its access is buried in flash ROM on the CPU board.

--- rod.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo