1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Error: "duplicate value in unique index" without duplicate data

Hello and thanks for reading and probably also helping me

brief explanation of my problem:

I am copying Data from one Firebird-Database to another (called V14) and i am using IBExpert to do so.
    The Tables are named equally and have the same structure.
    The small piece of Code to do so is:
    Code:
    INSERT into [V14].BSMZ SELECT * FROM BSMZ
    unfortunately i receive the error-Message:
    Invalid insert or update value(s): object columns are constrained - no 2 table rows can have duplicate column values. attempt to store duplicate value (visible to active transactions) in unique index "UI_BSMZ"
    The unique-Index contains 2 Data-colums.
    In the table i take my data from, a unique index is also present and identically defined.

There are multiple rows that cause this problem.
    But each row really has unique values in the 2 colums of the unique key.

I am not really sure what could cause this problem and would appreciate some hints.

(For purpose of testing i did remove the constraint from the table i want to put my data in. But i still get the same error-message, wich confuses me even more)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Do you make another inserts in this table from somewhere else in your code? Do you commit/rollback transaction after each execution of the code? Because IBExpert by default doesn't commit and if you run your code 2-3 times in the same transaction is normal to trigger the unique constraint.

Also try to make a twin table in the same database and copy the data in it to see if the error occur.
    Last edited by mIRCata; February 20th, 2014 at 01:05 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

There is no other insert. The line of code shown in my post is every source code that is executed. And i empty the table before running this code.

creating a twin-table could be worth a try..
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Is there a trigger in the table, active before insert that changes the data by some way?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by mIRCata
    Is there a trigger in the table, active before insert that changes the data by some way?
    There is a trigger - but it does not change the data of the unique-key-colums.
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Marko84
    There is a trigger - but it does not change the data of the unique-key-colums.
    Another thing to check is null or empty values. Null will register as a value in the index.

If the trigger is doing an insert into a second table that may be causing it.

Another option (being paranoid) is use a distinct on the select query and lastly have you checked a count on the rows having the count value > 1? The data may be meant to be unique but it's useful to check.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo