1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Error with .Net Profider 1.5.4

Hi All

I am writing a application that works with the meta data of 3 types of databases M$ SQL Server, Oracle and Firebird.

To keep things easy for myself i have decided to work with the interfaces of the objects like Idbconnection, idtransaction, IDbConnection ex...

So all though i am using the database specific providers i extract the interfaces that they implement.

This works perfect for M$ SQL Server and Oracle but on FireBird i get an error when trying to close the dbconnection and when i try to dispose of a Command object. Please remember that i am working with the interfaces of the objects.

I don't have the exact error message now but will post it here later. The error message complains about something like "writing to stream not allowed"

I use to get these error in Provider 1.5.3 aswell. I also know that the error message about disposing the command object was also discussed on the Yahoo Support groups about a month ago - Thought is was suppose to be fixed in 1.5.4...I might me missing something.

Here is some code snippets.
    Private _DBConnection As IDbConnection
    Private _DB_Command As IDbCommand

Public Function CloseConnection()
    Try
    If Not IsNothing(_DBConnection) Then
    If _DBConnection.State = ConnectionState.Open Then
    _DBConnection.Close()
    End If
    End If
    Catch E As Exception
    'Had to add this as the firebird connection throws error.
    End Try

Protected Overrides Sub Finalize()
    Try
    _DB_Command.Dispose()
    Catch Ex As Exception
    'Throw Ex
    'Firebird gives an error when freeing the DBCommand - So just shut up for know.
    End Try
    MyBase.Finalize()
    End Sub
    End Function

Thanks Wayne
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by WayneB
    Try
    _DB_Command.Dispose()
    Catch Ex As Exception
    'Throw Ex
    'Firebird gives an error when freeing the DBCommand - So just shut up for know.
    End Try
    MyBase.Finalize()
    End Sub
    End Function
    Huummmm ..... If you want to do that in the finalizer probably you will need to review

GC.SuppressFinalize();

The call to Dispose will try to free the resources allocated for the command in the Firebird server but the socket used for communication is, more than probably, collected yet by the GC.

I want to review some things arround this for future versions
    of the provider but for now it's in my todo list

You will get faster answers if you send .net provider related questions to the developement list, you can subscribe to it here:

http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/l...d-net-provider
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by carlosga
    Huummmm ..... If you want to do that in the finalizer probably you will need to review

GC.SuppressFinalize();
    Uh !! forget this one !!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Angry

Hi All (and Carlos)

Here is the exact error message that i get when closing the dbconnection. - This error does not happen everytime it is random. I have to repeat the same process about 10 times (open the app extract the meta data then close app) before this error occurs...So that makes me wonder whether it is not a .Net Garage Collector problem?

An unhandled exception of type 'System.NotSupportedException' occurred in iis_cl.core.dll

Additional information: Stream does not support writing.

StackTrace:
    at System.IO.__Error.WriteNotSupported()
    at System.IO.BufferedStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
    at System.IO.BinaryWriter.Write(Int32 value)
    at FirebirdSql.Data.Firebird.Gds.GdsInetWriter.WriteInt(Int32 val)
    at FirebirdSql.Data.Firebird.Gds.GdsDbAttachment.Detach()
    at FirebirdSql.Data.Firebird.FbDbConnection.Disconnect()
    at FirebirdSql.Data.Firebird.FbConnection.Close()
    at IIS_CL.DB.DBSchema.CLS_DBSchema.CloseConnection() in C:\Documents and Settings\Wayne\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\IIS_CL_CORE\Database\Database_Schema_Structures\CLS_DBSchema.vb
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi All (and Carlos)

Here is the exact error message that i get when closing the dbconnection. - This error does not happen everytime it is random. I have to repeat the same process about 10 times (open the app extract the meta data then close app) before this error occurs...So that makes me wonder whether it is not a .Net Garage Collector problem?
    I was thining in the call to the Dispose method of the command object in the Finalizer, sorry .

Where is called the CloseConnection method ?? (seems that the networkstream/socket are invalid when closing the connection)
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by carlosga
    Where is called the CloseConnection method ?? (seems that the networkstream/socket are invalid when closing the connection)
    The CloseConnection is a method that is part of class called CLS_DBSchema. This method get called by then CLS_DBSchema's finalize method.

CloseConnection()
    MyBase.Finalize()
    End Sub

Close connection also get called by another class that reads data from this class.

I hope i am doing enough checks before closing the connection.

Here is the exact code.

Public Function CloseConnection()
    Try
    If Not IsNothing(FDBConnection) Then
    If FDBConnection.State = ConnectionState.Open Then
    FDBConnection.Close()
    End If
    End If
    Catch E As Exception
    Throw
    End Try
    End Function

Do i need to do more checks before closing the connection? Is it possible that the State is set to Open but it is actualy closed?
  13. No Profile Picture

The CloseConnection is a method that is part of class called CLS_DBSchema. This method get called by then CLS_DBSchema's finalize method.

CloseConnection()
    MyBase.Finalize()
    End Sub

Do i need to do more checks before closing the connection? Is it possible that the State is set to Open but it is actualy closed?
    I think the problem is that GAC has collected yet the socket on the finalizer (The FbConnection class has a call to GC.SupressFinalize in the constructor but it isn't in the inner class used for the connection).

You will need to close the connection outside the Finalize method.

(I'm doing some tests right now in this issue in the v1.7 sources for see if i can do anything for allow this)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo