1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

MFC and return values of stored procedures

Hello,

In my application I'm using the MFC Recordset as a base class to obtain data from my firebird database (in MSVC++).

I know CRecordset returns field values from tables, but what I'm trying to do is the following:

Code:
    Call a stored procedure to insert a record.
    The stored procedure updates a table and returns the identifier for this record.
    Call other stored procedures to store data that is related to the first record using the identifier.
    When there is a 1:1 relationship between tables then a stored procedure which holds data to update all tables at once could be used. In a 1:n relationship however I need the identifier for each update.

I don't want my application to generate identifiers.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this are appreciated.
  3. Bug Hunter

i think you need some trigers and generators
    (take a look in the docs )
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your input, but I don't think I will be needing triggers. Have to look up generators in the documentation though for generators though. I set up my stored procedures to return an identifier. Header (in Dutch, but that is not important in this case):

Code:
    CREATE PROCEDURE MAAKVERKOOP(DATUM INT, OMZET FLOAT, VERKOPERID INT,
                                 KORTING FLOAT) RETURNS (ID INT)
    According to the documentation, after execution the value stored in ID will be returned.

How can I set up a class so I can read this identifier in my program?

(I realize this may be more of a C++ question, but there must be more coders out there)
  7. Bug Hunter

i don't know to much mfc

I think is better to use ibpp for avanced firebird features : procedures, transactions, administration tasks ...

What is IBPP ?

IBPP, where 'PP' stands for '++', is a C++ client interface for Firebird Server versions 1.0, 1.5 and further. It also works with InterBaseŽ 6.0, though it is expected it might only support Firebird in the future. It is a class library, free of any specific development tool dependancies. It is not tied to any 'visual' or 'RAD' tool. It was indeed developed to add Firebird access in any C++ application. Those applications using IBPP can be non-visual (CORBA/COM objects, other libraries of classes and functions, procedural 'legacy' code, for instance). But it can of course also be used in visual or RAD environments. IBPP is indeed purely a dynamic SQL interface to Firebird. In some easy (we think so :-) to use C++ classes, you will find nearly all what is needed to access a Firebird database, and manipulate the data. IBPP also offers access to most of the administrations tasks : creating a database, modifying its structure, performing online backups, administering user accounts on the server and so on.
    http://www.ibpp.org/
    Last edited by mariuz; January 28th, 2004 at 03:34 PM.
    My home page: http://www.firebirdsql.org and work place :http://www.reea.net

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo