1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to protect fdb file from being copied to another fb server

Hi to everyone,
    I got this application based on FB database. The application, the FB server and the FDB file are on the same machine.
    When i install the application i change SYSDBA pwd, then add a new user with a strong pwd, and then the application runs using this user with his pwd. So no-one in that machine, through FB server, can read the data in the DB.
    This is crucial, since in the DB some critical data are stored, such as information abount enabled modules. If someone open and modify such data could enable some features he didn't pay for!

The system is quite safe in the single machine. But if set up another machine with a new FB server with default SYSDBA/masterkey user, and then i copy-and-paste the FDB file in this new machine i can read and write the DB. So the user could use this way to modify critical information and then copy-and-paste the file back to the production machine.

How do you cope with it?

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I could be wrong; but I do not believe this is currently possible.
    The general assumption is that the database is on a server that is protected and managed by IT/DBA and can only be accessed through the Firebird service.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by clivew
    The general assumption is that the database is on a server that is protected and managed by IT/DBA and can only be accessed through the Firebird service.
    Exactly! That's the correct way to use Firebird.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo