1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Questions about Firebird Licence

Hi.
    First of all sorry because of my low english level.
    I'm trying Firebird and i found in it a great product, simply, fast, easy to configure, not big executable, excellent in all aspects. I read the licence too, but i things that i can not understand. Of course I do not ask all the answers but if someone know one of them and want to help, They are yes/no questions.
    1) Firebird is free. But, working, can I install FB superserver, for example in a company, and let them to pay me (as a job, earn money of the instalation) ??
    2) If i am a programmer, Can I use firebird in my commercial application and distribute whith it?
    3) In that case i have to pay something to firebird ? (Independient of voluntary donates)
    I have to ask permission ??
    4) If the application is independient (separate) of the database, but the application uses the server, can i distribute in the same CD or in the same box for example the executable of firebird ?
    5) Continue in the same case. If my application is commercial, but firebird is open source, I must give opened the code of my aplication too ???

I know that these questions are in the licence but i can not understand it. In other licences like BSD or GNU i think it is more clear. If someone can help me, thank you very much.
    Leo
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Leo,

1) you may charge for consultancy, not for the Firebird software itself. And you should include the license readme file with the software.

2) Yes.

3) See above.

4) Yes, as long as you redistribute the Firebird license readme file as well.

5) No, you do not need to open your own code as long as you don't modify the Firebird sourcecode.

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
    Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird, MySQL & MS SQL Server.
    Upscene Productions
    http://www.upscene.com
    Martijn Tonies
    Database Workbench: developer IDE for Firebird, MySQL, InterBase, MSSQL Server and Oracle
    Upscene Productions
    http://www.upscene.com
  5. No Profile Picture

I understand clear now. Thank you upscene/Martijn.
    As i can see, it is very similar to the GNU licence. It is nice to have products like this.
    Thank you again.
    Leo

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo