1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Total Newbie Qs: Firebird with .NET App

Please except my apology in advance for asking such a basic question. For some reason I'm having really difficulty understanding firebird. I've looking in this forum, on the posts on the .NET provider mail list, and on the firebird site, but I still have some really fundamental questions to clear up.

Basically I want to use firebird for my winforms software application in .NET. I've heard that, similar to Microsoft Access, a firebird database can exist as a single file, which suits distribution for an application.

- Do I have any constraints using a firebird database with a
    commercial software application?
    - What do I need to get a firebird database running? I've got an uncompiled source of firebird and the FB.net provider. Can I get these compiled and ready to go?
    - What database driver do I use?
    - What needs to be in the software distribution? I'm guessing the database driver and the fb.net provider.

Again, sorry for these basic questions. If there's a link that goes over these basic things, please just point me to that.

Thanks,
    Nick
  3. Modding: Oracle MsSQL Firebird
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Start from www.ibphoenix.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

For that you need the Embedded version of firebird that you can get it here(compiled version ): http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...?group_id=9028 but I don't think that the fb .net provider works with the embedded version yet. The best thing you can do is ask the person that is developing the .net provider. You can do all that in this newsgroups server: news://news.atkin.com . Just search for the .net group

And you dont't have any contraints for using it commercially
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the responses guys.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo