1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up Is VS.NET Standard edition is good for FireBird too?

Dear all,

I have been using VS.NET 2003 Enterprise with FireBird in my work, but I like to purchase my own copy of VS.NET 2003 for personal projects.

If anyone uses VS.NET Standard Edition with FireBird, I like to get some feedbacks from you on choosing VS.NET editions.

I won't use any other databases other than FireBird RDBMS along with .NET provider, and my primary projects will be ASP.NET server applications. If this is the case, does VS.NET 2003 standard edition works perfect for me?

I just found that VS.NET Standard costs about $90 and C# Builder Pro Upgrade costs about $490.

I will appreciate it if you give me some help on choosing the right edition without spending too much for the features that I won't use.

** Please take my apology if I post this to wrong forum.

- JH
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't use the standard version but I use the professional one and it has everything I need. I'm not sure but I think the standard version has everything u need to make asp.net sites with firebird. It just doesn't have all the enterprise tools and stuff.

But check this out (maybe you should postpone your purchase):

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition provides everything you need to begin building Web applications with ASP.NET 2.0. It provides:

* Visual Designers that make creating Web applications easy via an easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface
    * Powerful code editor with rich functionality such as IntelliSense that makes writing code and HTML faster
    * Quickly create data-driven Web applications using the built-in data controls and integrated access to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
    * Support for multiple languages, including Visual Basic, C#, and J#
    * Get started using the built-in, fully functional starter kits like the Personal Web Starter Kit

It looks pretty cool and I've read that the price will be in the tens of dollars

The whole express product line
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Smile Thank you

Thank you.

I will take a look at the new Express version.

- JH
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Smile Commercial product

By the way, does VS C# Standard Edtion allows us to develop and release the commercial applications?

I will appreciate it if anyone makes this clear for me.

Thank you.

- JH

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo